Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed yesterday and had a few friends over to help and eat ribs. I brewed a black IPA and used apollo hops...

Buddy grabs a pellet and says " how bitter can they be?"
I says "it's really bitter...one of the bitterest out there I wouldn't eat one"
Other buddy says "oh yeah...i can handle it" and grabs a few...pops them in his mouth and starts chewing and then gets ready to spit them out
I says "hey don't spit those out I had to get them from California!"

To see his face turn inside out was priceless!

My mom insists on putting oranges in everything I let her drink. Hefes are sort of acceptable, I guess, but I draw the line at my ESB, Optic/Ahtanum SMaSH, cream ale, kolsch, or pale ale. If it is clear and light enough to see through, she plops an orange in it. Thanks, Ma. Haven't seen her do it with an IPA yet, but I'm sure I will.

A girl that I used to date would put pickles in her Bud Light. She said it needed them. I asked why she drank it then. She really had no good answer. Needless to say that relationship did not go very far.

PilotCline said:
A girl that I used to date would put pickles in her Bud Light. She said it needed them. I asked why she drank it then. She really had no good answer. Needless to say that relationship did not go very far.

Did you know about this BEFORE you dated her????

Ha Ha at least someone accepted and knew that the sud light needed something extra. Too bad you didn't get her to start drinking good craft brews.

A pickle in a Bud Lite - hmmm...it would give the BL some flavour...

A foodie friend of mine insists that pickled carrots and stout are an excellent post-curling snack, "best enjoyed with feet up". I've never had both pickled carrots, stout, and the desire to try this in my house at the same time.

PilotCline said:
Nope. Happened around date 3. The first few she had some of the craft beers that the restaurants offered. I guess she was trying to dole out her crazy slowly!

Haha ok good. I was gonna say, I don't think I could have a serious conversation with anyone if they had a pickle floating in their beer.

I have a friend who insists on sprinkling a little salt into every glass of draft beer she buys. She says it helps dissipate the head quickly, so she can get to drinking the beer without all that annoying foam getting in the way.

I have a friend who insists on sprinkling a little salt into every glass of draft beer she buys. She says it helps dissipate the head quickly, so she can get to drinking the beer without all that annoying foam getting in the way.

Tell her to rub her finger on her face and plunge that finger into her beer...

I went home for Christmas and brought a case of beer that i made for each brother. So I go to pour a beer for one of them because he doesn't drink really. So I give him the glass and he sticks his finger in. So I say wtf dude? He says it's not supposed to have foam...

I went home for Christmas and brought a case of beer that i made for each brother. So I go to pour a beer for one of them because he doesn't drink really. So I give him the glass and he sticks his finger in. So I say wtf dude? He says it's not supposed to have foam...

:smack:

My father-in-law was visiting the other day. He saw me drinking an amber ale and had a bit of a curious look on his face, I'm assuming because he could smell beer but my drink wasn't pale yellow.

Me: "This is my home brewed amber ale."
Him: "What kind of ale?"
Me: "Amber ale."
Him: "Oh. Can I smell it?"
Me: "Sure."
Him: *sniff* "It smells exactly like beer."
Me: "It is beer."
Him: "Oh."
Me: "If you'd like..."
Him: "I don't drink beer."

Ooo... I like that idea! We've got a winter beer festival coming up here next month, too; I could use some ideas. Maybe a side-thread for deliberately obtuse beer-related comments intended to provoke the ire of eavesdropping beer snobs?

"I dunno about this beer festival, man. Do you think any of the breweries will be serving any lagers, or is it all just beer?"

We could have a lot of fun with this. :)

Harass the Beau's guys with stupid comments like "man this bogwater stuff is WAY hoppy, I can't finish it! must be a triple IPA" or "so this *insert greener futures batch* is made from bourbon?" watch them slowly breakdown.

Jeezus, I'd hate to see the look on your face if you smelled a sour or wheat. :cross:

I always have the hardest time trying to explain a beer to non beer geeks because I'm like "it smells like vomit, yeah that nice vomit smell... but in a good way, you know?" I don't think anyone other than my brother gets me.

Buddy hanging out while I was brewing:

Buddy: "What's that stuff you're spraying on everything?"

Me: "Sanitizer, but it's cool. It's food grade. You could actually ingest it and be fine, and it doesn't affect the beer's flavor."

Buddy: Squirt, squirt in the mouth..."HACCCHHH, HACCCHHH! Why'd you let me do that???"

Another time...

Buddy: "Is it ok to eat one of these pellets?"

Me: "Yeah, but I wouldn't..."

Buddy: Chomp, chomp "Oh, citrusy and bitter!"

Me: "Good luck with that."

Buddy: "Ahh, that's intense."

Me: "Yep."

Buddy: Later, "Oh, that really stays with you."
Buddy: Next day, "Man, I tried brushing my teeth...didn't really help."

'Round my house we have a rule: if you make a pellet drop on the ground, you HAVE to eat it... to appease the god Humulus Lupulus.

It also will reduce the bitterness, which is why some folks will even add it t non foamy beers

A pet peeve of mine about being served draft beer is bartenders that think they're doing you a favour by pour as little head as possible and foiling the body almost to the rim of the glass. Fairly prevalent at restaurants around here

Last night, I went out to a local pint night, which is a great place for beer. However, the new girl, a young dumb waitress tried to wipe off the small amount of foam, off the top. I saw her going for it and asked what the heck she was doing. she replied "Eww, you like that stuff?"
I said "Yes, it helps bring out the aroma." She walked away still confused that I wanted the head on my beer...

Last night, I went out to a local pint night, which is a great place for beer. However, the new girl, a young dumb waitress tried to wipe off the small amount of foam, off the top. I saw her going for it and asked what the heck she was doing. she replied "Eww, you like that stuff?"
I said "Yes, it helps bring out the aroma." She walked away still confused that I wanted the head on my beer...

What was she wiping it off with? Really if you have draft taps you should at least tell you staff how to pour a beer.
I can understand the little head (most people want "value for money") but getting rid of the minimal head on my beer all together is just wrong.

What was she wiping it off with? Really if you have draft taps you should at least tell you staff how to pour a beer.
I can understand the little head (most people want "value for money") but getting rid of the minimal head on my beer all together is just wrong.

Exactly... She tried to scrape it off with another glass. I really hope there aren't some cheap dbags that go there and complain about the foam because they want more beer. If so, they are ruining that places integrity.

I thought this was supposed to be funny things that you overheard about beer, not gee this guy is an idiot because he doesn't know as much about beer as me.

Lighten up folks. It's only beer.;)

Brewed yesterday and had a few friends over to help and eat ribs. I brewed a black IPA and used apollo hops...

Buddy grabs a pellet and says " how bitter can they be?"
I says "it's really bitter...one of the bitterest out there I wouldn't eat one"
Other buddy says "oh yeah...i can handle it" and grabs a few...pops them in his mouth and starts chewing and then gets ready to spit them out
I says "hey don't spit those out I had to get them from California!"

To see his face turn inside out was priceless!

'Round my house we have a rule: if you make a pellet drop on the ground, you HAVE to eat it... to appease the god Humulus Lupulus.

Ha! I would like to see a show of hands of all of those that have never popped a hop pellet into their mouths to see what it tasted like.

I'll admit that I have done it. Once.

CGVT said:
Ha! I would like to see a show of hands of all of those that have never popped a hop pellet into their mouths to see what it tasted like.

+1 Did it with a Cascade pellet the first time I brewed. Not exactly awful IMO. Almost did it with a Citra pellet not long ago as well.

I was taking the tour at Red Hook Brewery. In the tasting room, they had a pitcher of grains and a pitcher of hop pellets. The pitchers were passed around so that we could smell the ingredients. Right in front of me was a very happy looking tourist couple, who were obviously not from America. Don't think they understood the english language too well, because the gal popped a handful of the pellets right into her mouth-hole. Chewed them up, swallowed them, and then began to well up with tears.
Poor girl was ruined. She, and her man, almost sprinted out of that tasting room.
I laughed, quietly, because I'm a nice guy.

CGVT said:

I haven't popped a pellet but I poured the wort from my first brew through a stainless strainer into my fermentor. All the hops clogged it up pretty fast and I tried a pinch of that. I can only imagine how much more 'tasty' they are before an hour long boil.

jperry said:

I guess she's not use to giving head.

CGVT said:

That's one of my worse habits every few months I forget the taste of hops and they smell so good that I forget how strong they taste and pop a few in my mouth. I never spit them out but I remember for a few months not to do it. I've probably tasted over a dozen hops raw I guess I don't learn my lesson

Back