Those little bbq tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frige

Reaction score
Anyone have trouble with the little 20 pound propane tanks? I bought a brand new one and it will not flow enough for my banjo burner. I thought I had a bad regulator but I pulled one of the 30 pounders off of the rv and it runs fine. While piddling with it it will start off with pressure but as you increase it you hear a click in the valve and it kills the gas. Maybe defective?

Can you take the regulator off it. I have a banjo burner and took the regulator off and use the valve on the tank for large adjustments and then a valve I put on the burner end for fine adjustments.

Kind of redneck but it works for me

The only problem that I have had is if the valve on the banjo is open slightly when I open the valve on the tank. It goes into a safety mode where the flow is very low.

Hmm. I guess we have different style tanks then. Well I know we do since I do not have any of the little BBQ tanks just bigger ones I fill off my house tank out back.

The regulator is fine. I traded the one from my turkey fryer and it does the same thing. It is definitely tripping the safety valve as I hear it click, but it does it over a over, just as you start to get the flow going ,click and the gas goes to nothing.

Have you tried opening the valve slower? That safety triggers when there is a sudden rush of gas. That's why it goes into low flow mode. I have to do that with mine until I get the burner going. Mine is a camp chef so I can't speak to how the banjos are configured.

It is most likely the OPD valve. Turn everything off, pick up the tank and set it back down kind of hard. Sometimes they stick once they've been tripped. When you turn on the propane make sure the regulator valve is off, turn the tank on and then slowly turn on the regulator valve.

Figured it out. The propane guy overfilled the tank. Yes you can do that even with the opd valve it seems. After purging some off it is working now. :mug:

Back