Adding Oak Chips to Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcatbrewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm going to be brewing a Imperial Amber Rye and thought it would be nice to experiment with some medium smokey bourbon soaked oak chips.

My question is when should I put them in, during the boil with the hops? or is it something that I should put in the primary?

I'm looking to add a little more boldness to the recipe I don't want it to be a crazy overpowering oak taste.

Thanks!!!

Typically you want to age the beer on oak or in a barrel after primary fermentation is complete. Transfer the beer off the yeast cake into a secondary vessel and add the chips then.

So if I have 4oz of chips should I use them all of just 2oz? I don't really know what kind of strength to expect from them.

Thanks for the reply.

bobcatbrewer said:
So if I have 4oz of chips should I use them all of just 2oz? I don't really know what kind of strength to expect from them.

Thanks for the reply.

It's more likely gonna be trial and error for how long you want to age it. Might as well use them all and let it sit for a predetermined amount of time then bottle it and hope for the best. If it is too strong then next time use less or age for a shorter time. Oak doesn't impart a ton of flavor really.

Back