5 oz. vs. 16 oz priming sugar: How bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FTG-05

Reaction score
As usual, I asked my wife to measure out 5 oz. of sugar (by weight) for my priming sugar, in this case for Bravarian Wheat, just about 6 gallons of it.

She did then left with her sister for some shopping; little did I know that she had also measured out a cup and a half (16 oz.) for some candy making that she was doing later in the day. I poured the first sugar I saw into the boiling water and never thought anything of it.

It's now mixed in with my 6 gallons or so. How bad is this?

I use 25 oz PET bottles, after bottling - and finding out the mistake - I twisted the bottle caps only to very light tightening, not super tight like I normally do. So, if worse comes to worse, I can back off the caps and relieve pressure.

Any other comments, suggestions or flames for me missing this?

Thanks,

Might be sweet and be careful opening them, or let is set for another week, let the yeast eat it back up, then bottle.

1.5C wouldn't be 16oz,not even dry weight. 2C is 16oz by that mesure.,each cup being 8oz each by liquid measure,which cups are intended for basically. By weight,a cup is about 5oz dry. So you had maybe 8oz tops by dry weight. By my scale anyway.

1 cup of table sugar is 225g, so a cup and a half is about 340g. You meant to prime with 140g. So you used around 2.5 times as much priming sugar as you wanted. I'm not sure about those PET bottles, but most glass bottles would explode.

Wish I had a helpful suggestion, maybe pour them back into fermenter for a few days? Good luck.

1 cup of table sugar is 225g, so a cup and a half is about 340g. You meant to prime with 140g. So you used around 2.5 times as much priming sugar as you wanted. I'm not sure about those PET bottles, but most glass bottles would explode.

Wish I had a helpful suggestion, maybe pour them back into fermenter for a few days? Good luck.

That's about what I figured as well. Unfortunately, I found out after I had already bottled it. :(

So, I can either:

A) wait and see
B) loosen the caps, retighten .... when?
C) Dump it (not gonna happen, not after all this work)
D) ????

Yeah with 2.5 times the priming sugar I would be very worried about them exploding even with plastic bottles. You could leave the caps loose and allow all of the sugar to ferment out (probably 1-2 weeks depending on temperature). Hopefully if you don't mess with them, there will be a small layer of CO2 that will protect them from oxidation. After that you could add a Cooper's carb tab (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E5ZYB8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) to each one, seal, and bottle condition as normal. Might work. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back