Is it ok to oxygenate your beer in the fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMIPA

Reaction score
Is it ok if your beer gets oxygenated when you carry it to your bottleing bucket? If there is a lid on there.What are the oxygenated does and dont?

Thanks
Sean

Keep your splashing to a minimum. If your brew has finished fermenting, then chances are that the headspace is completly filled with CO2 from the fermentation.
It's likely that no O2 will get into the brew, but you will stir up some sediment from the yeast cake at the bottom.

In homebrewing, you will not eliminate exposure to oxygen. You just minimize that exposure. Do what Boo Boo said, and also minimize splashing while bottling. Chances are, there is some CO2 dissolved in your wort that also protects you a bit. However, the only time I found any comfort in that thought was when I was bottling. I figured whatever evolved out of the beer that went in the bottle also helped purge the bottle a bit.

TL

My heffe had an 84 hour lag time... you bet your butt that I shook the heck out of that carboy several times during those 4 days! lol...

Boo boo is right. Keep you O2 exposure to a minimum. The headspace is filled with CO2, as long as you have your airlock on. Once that is removed, O2 will 'invade' the space, but not very quickly. The yeast that is transferred over will quickly scrub out the O2 brought over by transferring to the bottling bucket or other fermenter.

Back