Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't worry about color. As someone said, it will be black as night anyway. Nelson is a NZ hop, so the new crop will be out soon, probably the next month or 2.

Brewed this last week. I was just checking gravity and the sample tasted great. I can't wait to see what the Nelson does to it!

Do you have beersmith? If so, there is a scale feature that will easily convert it to whatever volume you want. I wont have access to my beersmith for a couple days or would do it for you. If no one else does by then, I will post it when I get home.

So I was looking to brew this, but at brewmaster's warehouse the darkest candi sugar they have is the D-180 Dark Candi Syrup http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102156/D-180-dark-candi-syrup

Do you think that it would work, or if not do you have some suggestions for alternate candi sugars? When I had this on tap it seemed as if there was a huge amount of flavor derived from the sugar so I want to make sure I get it right.

I haven't used belgian candy sugar in any other recipes, so don't know much about the flavor differences. the Amber candi sugar looks pretty dark, no SRM posted though.

Yeah I have not used candi sugar before, but after having this beer it might find its way in to some stouts, maybe I will probably send Ed an email and ask him what he would recommend or if for some reason the dark candi sugar is just not on the website...

Tasted some today, and the Nelson dry hop added so much. Turning out very nice.

As luck would have it, I'll be in San Diego this week and Stone will be doing a growler fill of the 15th so I can get a direct comparison.

Nothing to do with the clone recipe, just wanted to pay that I found 2 bottles of this it a local shop today.

U jelly?

Nothing to do with the clone recipe, just wanted to pay that I found 2 bottles of this it a local shop today.

U jelly?

I got three liters fresh today! :ban:

It's good, but I have to say, I like how the recipe is turning out better.

I got this brewed Friday. I came up about .002 short on OG. I am thinking about boiling up a bit of sugar and adding it after primary fermentation, but will wait and see where the final gravity ends up before doing that. Here is what I did, it is basically just a scaled down version of post #1:

Batch Size: 3.25 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Actual Efficiency: 73.4 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.6 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.2 %
0.50 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4.1 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.1 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 61.2 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 33.6 IBU
2.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 oz pacific jade [9.00%] (1 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 4.1 %
1 Pkgs California Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) [Starter 2500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.102 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.100 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.027 SG (hoping for 1.018 - 1.020)
Estimated Color: 58.0 SRM
Bitterness: 101.2 IBU (60.0-110.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 9.1 AAU
Mashed temperature: 151 F

I will report back in a month or so.

Is this still considered to be the closest recipe, or are there tweaks that need to be made?

That or the upscaled version in the original post if you want a full batch. I already changed the mash (150or so), and recommend a very healthy starter.

Gonna brew a 3 gallon batch on Friday. Planning on a 2L starter of WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast.

How long did you let this condition? I like to drink my IPAs fresh, but this might need some time. I don't want the hop character to diminish though.

I think I went 2 months before bottling, due to laziness. It was probably good to go a few weeks before based on samplings. I would probably at least ferment 2 weeks, then secondary for 2 weeks (dryhop last 7-10 days) then bottle. If you let it age a little it probably wont really affect the bitterness, just dryhop right before bottling.

On a side note- I took some to a homebrew meeting per se, and it was extremely well received. No one had had the real Stone 15, but even people that don't necessarily like lots of hops and prefer more english and german style beers loved it. There were several comments on the great complex hop aroma. The malt/roast/hop balance is nice. One is opening a brewpub and mentioned possibly having me in to brew a batch to put in tap sometime.

I have also had a great response on this one. A local brewer is going to have me come in and do a batch of this one his one barrel system too!
As for fermentation I went with 8 day primary, dry hopped in the primary for 7 days then bottled. At two weeks in the bottle is when it hit its stride and has been tasting amazing for the last couple weeks now. I would recommend brewing as much of this as your system allows. You get a lot of fermentation and dry hop loss.... also it tastes amazing and I think it will age out well like a barleywine

I just threw this in the kegerator and waiting for it to carb up. The hydro test tasted awesome. A side note on the san Diego super yeast, it ferments very vigorously so if you are going to use it I would suggest a blow off tube because it is going eat through fermentable at close to twice the speed as regular wlp002. The last beer I made with it started up strait from the vial to a 1064 batch, it had started to show signs of fermentation at 5 hours, and was at a full ferment with an inch or krasen at 8.5 hours; and I took a hydro at day 4 and it had already fermented down to 1014. With this beer I'm assuming it will go so crazy it will be blowing krasen out the top with that yeast. Just my opinion though.

I just threw this in the kegerator and waiting for it to carb up. The hydro test tasted awesome. A side note on the san Diego super yeast, it ferments very vigorously so if you are going to use it I would suggest a blow off tube because it is going eat through fermentable at close to twice the speed as regular wlp002. The last beer I made with it started up strait from the vial to a 1064 batch, it had started to show signs of fermentation at 5 hours, and was at a full ferment with an inch or krasen at 8.5 hours; and I took a hydro at day 4 and it had already fermented down to 1014. With this beer I'm assuming it will go so crazy it will be blowing krasen out the top with that yeast. Just my opinion though.

I see what you mean by this. I BARELY cracked the vile to pitch into my starter and it exploded everywhere. This stuff could be even more active than the Weihenstephan.

Same thing happened too me, make sure to sanitize hands, use gloves if you have them and open it over a funnel into the starter.

Brewed today. This was my second all grain and I nailed the OG at 1.100. Sample is very hoppy bitter.

Brewed today. This was my second all grain and I nailed the OG at 1.100. Sample is very hoppy bitter.

Nice work on the efficiency on a big brew like this. The bitterness is normal, there is a bunch of hops in this brew. It will mellow out nicely.

I'm still waiting for signs of fermentation on mine that I brewed on Friday. Made a 2L starter of the WLP090. Decanted and pitched into the 3G @ 1.102 that I shot with pure O2 for 30 seconds. I expected the yeast to go ape**** within 24 hours. Stupid lazy yeast.

mrgstiffler said:
I'm still waiting for signs of fermentation on mine that I brewed on Friday. Made a 2L starter of the WLP090. Decanted and pitched into the 3G @ 1.102 that I shot with pure O2 for 30 seconds. I expected the yeast to go ape**** within 24 hours. Stupid lazy yeast.

I am surprised isn't going ape$h!t by now. Got krausen or is in a bucket? If bucket, maybe a bad seal somewhere, it should be going strong, especially with a starter.

I am surprised isn't going ape$h!t by now. Got krausen or is in a bucket? If bucket, maybe a bad seal somewhere, it should be going strong, especially with a starter.

Yeah, the starter was very active. It's in a carboy and absolutely no krausen. It's very strange but I'm sure something will happen soon.

Mine is going nuts with several inches of krausen today. Thanks for the compliment Skeezer, this was also my third home brew ever.

IPA is next. Who's got a killer recipe at 7ish%

Mine is going nuts with several inches of krausen today. Thanks for the compliment Skeezer, this was also my third home brew ever.

Widmer released their X-114 recipe. You can find it here somewhere. If not, I'll send it to you. Very easy and tasty.

I have an all Citra recipe that is getting a lot of positive feedback: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/

I have a keg on tap now, it will not last long. It is only around 6.3%, but i had one batch hat was about 6.8% (been playing with different yeasy). You could add a bit af 2 row, and a bit more bittering hops if needed.

I was considering making your Zombie Dust clone sometime. I acquired some bravo and delta hops and want to brew a pale/IPA using them first. I posted looking for some recipe advice, but haven't got much response. Anyone here have experience with these hops or advice?

Woz said:
I was considering making your Zombie Dust clone sometime. I acquired some bravo and delta hops and want to brew a pale/IPA using them first. I posted looking for some recipe advice, but haven't got much response. Anyone here have experience with these hops or advice?

I have used bravo for bittering on a lot of beers due to the high alpha. Never used ut for any flavor/aroma/dryhop, but it does its job for bittering.

I was planning to bitter with bravo and flavor/aroma with delta.

I went to the best local specialty shop today to look for Zombie Dust and Hopslam. None in Southern California was the word :(

You won't get zombie dust in bottles outside the brewpub or a few specialty shops around Chicago, or on tap outside Indiana/Chicago/ burbs. Hopslam gets out, not to Cali though. And it sells out within minutes everywhere it is distributed. It is good, and I am a big hophead, but in my opinion if you are in the Midwest area, Dreadnaught is better than Hopslam (comparing imperial IPAs). Zombie Dust is like a Midwest Pliny in my opinion. It is just that good, and hard to get.

Two weeks of fermentation on my batch. When I checked gravity last weekend, it had dropped from 1.100 to 1.031. Yesterday I had only come down to 1.028. Still high, not sure what I can do about that.

Back