Pros of grain grewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyracuseBrothers

Reaction score
We've been brewing for about a year now and I'm one of those people who goes head first into everything. We've been using extracts, but i know there's more out there. The all grain set seems great, but theres alot for equipment envolved? I've got the cash and engineering background, but very limited space at this point. My brother and I are in College (dropping a line for King Arthur's in Oswego, NY). I want to step up the brewing process, and I guess I want to know what I need to at least run part grain. We're working with a kitcheonette on our floor of the dorm hall. Any insight on going past extracts would be great!:tank:

Try partial mash out, it shouldn't use up any more space than you're already using. The only things you'll really need are a big grain bag, a thermometer, and the grains.

Have fun.

Will you get kicked out for brewing beer in a college dorm? Don't they frown on alcohol in the dorm for under age college kids?

Haha yeah, most dorms alcohol is strictly prohibited. Not that we didn't have it, just had to be cautious. Not only that, but we weren't allowed hot plates/toasters of any sort in the building. Steep some grains or mini-mash, both step your flavor us plenty.

Thanks for the input folks! Don't worry about me (24 years old), no limit on alcohol, but wort isn't beer now is it;-) I guess I'll go with part grain. Thanks again for the input.

Syracuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here comes another fine SU football season... possibly 2 wins.

I'd vote for the 2gallon cooler 'mini-mash' that BYO magazine did an article on.
Let me find the link....
http://***********/feature/1536.html

Only real difference in partial vs. full mash is the size of the cooler and the brew pot...the rest of the process is pretty much the same.
However all grain gives you full control over the brew. with extracts, you are limited in some respects, particularly darker colors, and the elusive 'extract twang'.

Back