Diacetyl rest on BYO's New Belgium Schwarzbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaK

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my December BYO. In it there are clone recipes for New Belgium's 1554, a schwarzbier. I love this beer and want it on tap.

So, the recipe says to ferment it at 65*. Yes, 65* for a lager. I really hate diacetyl. I know nothing about lagers, but I'm assuming that fermenting this high will produce diacetyl. (I'd be using Wyeast Bohemian Lager.)

Am I correct in thinking this? If so, should I do a diacetyl rest? And again, if so, at what temperature. Palmer says to raise the temp to 45-50 for the rest, but I'd be lowering it in my case. Should I still do the same thing?

I just want my yeasties to cooperate.

Thanks!
Amanda

Diacetyl flavors result when the lager beasties can't quite clean it up at their low temps. I would think at 65 degrees you wouldn't have much diacetyl, but there might be some other off flavors from the high fermentation temp.

Check out the yeast profile for your beasties and follow that, IMO

I fermented my schwartzbier at 62 for two weeks then lagered for 3 at 56. But I used the san fransisco lager. I think it taste pretty good. No fruityness or diacetyl I can detect. Just another option.:mug:

Yeah you prob won't have diacetyl, but you will have esters from fermenting above the normal range. San Francisco is the only lager yeast I can think of where you can ferment clean above 62F. Go drink an Anchor Steam beer; that's the flavor of the San Fran lager yeast fermented at 60-65F. What yeast did the article say to use?

The article said to use the Bohemian Lager yeast. But, I'm heading to San Fran/Anchor Brewery in a month and a half, so I could just pick up some fresh Anchor Steam (or an unfiltered product of theirs, if they have one) and culture some of that yeast for my 1554 clone.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Amanda

The article said to use the Bohemian Lager yeast. But, I'm heading to San Fran/Anchor Brewery in a month and a half, so I could just pick up some fresh Anchor Steam (or an unfiltered product of theirs, if they have one) and culture some of that yeast for my 1554 clone.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Amanda

Or just buy some Wyeast 2112 or White Labs WLP810.

The bohemian should be fine. It's what most of the 1554 clones recommend.

from Wyeast:
YEAST STRAIN: 2124 | Bohemian Lager™- This Carlsberg type yeast is the most widely used lager strain in the world. This strain produces a distinct malty profile with some ester character and a crisp finish. A versatile strain, that is great to use with lagers or Pilsners for fermentations in the 45-55°F (8-12°C) range. It may also be used for Common beer production with fermentations at 65-68°F (18-20°C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete.

The diacetyl rest is more for when you ferment at lager temps. At 65F the yeast should be able to clean itself up. Also a diacetyl rest is after normal lager-temp. fermenting you raise the temp to 68-70F for a couple days before 'lagering.'

odds are itll probably have the same 'off flavors' 1554 has when you buy it from the store, but I'd guess in this case they aren't 'off' at all or they wouldnt use that yeast. go for it and post results :D, i've never read anything definitive or results-oriented about 1554 clones, just the same speculation that is in this thread!

IME, high temp lager yeast produce other off flavors (aromas in my case, these batches get dumped) than diacetyl... most recently a strange combination of fruit and feet smells were produced when I let the d-rest go too long. good luck to ya!

Is anyone talking from experience of using this exact strain at this temperature? Even the manufacturer of the yeast says it works well at this temperature.

1554 is in my cue as well, and I will use Wyeast Bohemian Lager at 66F as per all the clones say to do. I'm sure if it was an issue, the clones would all say not to use it...

If they wanted to make a regular schwarzbier they'dve fermented at 50, i'm guessing the temp is what makes 1554 1554.

Is they'dve a word? It should be!

Thanks for the help guys. Once I finally get this into my queue, I'll post back with some results.

Amanda

I made this recipe yesterday, 12-29. I used the Bohemian Lager yeast, like the BYO article said to do. I have it fermenting at about 65, but no real sign of activity yet.

An update: Fermentation has started with my 1554 clone using Bohemian Lager yeast. It took about 18 hours--a bit longer than usual for me. My temperature is about 65 for it.

Another update: I checked the gravity this morning and it's now at 1.017, so it's just about there. So that was about three and a half days at 65. Tastes kind of funky, but in a good way I think.

Latest posts

Back