Easy DIY method to prevent crushed braids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shroomzofdoom

Reaction score
I inherited a few ½” braids and set about making a cooler Mash Tun, about halfway through I could not decide on a manifold or a braid, as I read a bit on drawbacks for both. In this case, I wound up with a hybrid design, but also reinforced the braids to prevent crushing and stuck sparges.
braid_manifold.jpg

Start with a SS braid, trim off the fittings and remove the rubber hose. You are left with a nice braid, but one that crushes quite easily.
crushbraid.jpg

In the hardware aisle of your local hardware store, you can find picture hanging wire that’s all copper. I found this at Lowe’s:
copper.jpg

Roll some out and start winding it around a racking cane in a coil/spring fashion:
copper_cane.jpg

copper_cane_2.jpg

Then, using your heat resistant spoon, wooden spoon or similar, force that into the braid on the opposite end to keep the braid open while gently turning the copper coil. It should ‘screw’ its way into the braid. Use patience and don’t force it, gently turn and feed it all the way in. Use the spoon to hold the braid open as you go. You can also keep the racking cane inside of the copper coil to give it strength while screwing it in
copper_cane_3.jpg

copper_cane_4.jpg

This is a photo of the completed braid being held up to the light:
light.jpg

Horrible pic, but you get the idea.

If you get a stuck sparge, the grain bill will be the cause—not a compressed braid. Happy brewing.

I did something similar with my SS braid. I wrapped a SS wire around a pencil and inserted into my braid. Good pics :)

Thanks for the tip,

I haven't had a stuck sparge, but I'm considering trying this just to make the braid a little more rigid so it doesn't flop around so much when I'm stirring, cleaning, or whatever.

I use a SS braid I obtained from a front brake line for a Chrysler. Heavy duty, very stiff and almost impossible to flatten.

What in the heck are you'all doing in your MLT to crush the braids??

I wonder too. I have been using a stainless braid forever and never had issues like this. I've put 38 lbs of grain in my 48 quart cooler with no issues.

I wonder too. I have been using a stainless braid forever and never had issues like this. I've put 38 lbs of grain in my 48 quart cooler with no issues.

Sometimes stiring the mash will lift the whole braid or crush it.I put 3/8 drilled copper tubing it mine, it dosnt float anymore:mug:

Not all braids are created equal. Some crush with just a pound or two of force. On my first 'wet run' I displaced a floating braid with aggressive stirring and it was kinked.

Since I recycled the braids, cooler, and CPVC--I was going for the $3 mashtun idea by adding the copper coils.

Never thought of using picture hanging wire, I think I will have to pick some up and use it next time I rebuild my braid. It holds up well but I do have to reform it before brewing.
Thanks for posting another option with a cheap solution.

There's a thread on the forum where someone just took the wire binder out of a notebook and used that to reinforce the braid.

I just did this with some galvanized steel picture wire, I hope nothing crushes it as its not the strongest of all stuff. Yet, steel should be stronger than copper so we'll see.

Sorry...never had the need or desire to put something inside any of 4 or 5 braids that I have used.
They have always worked just fine as is...I guess I follow the "I it aint broke, don't fix it" line of thought.

Back