Strong Belgian Ale, Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
Hail ALL!! Here's what I'm gonna toss in a pot and heat.

5.5 gallons
3 gallon boil

7lbs light malt extract syrup
3lbs carafoam
2lbs melanoidin
1.75lbs crystal 20
1lbs crystal 150
1.5 lbs honey

.5oz simcoe 12% @ 20 min, 1oz @ 5 min, 1.5 oz after flameout @165-175 degrees F
.5oz amarillo 9.8% @20 min, 1oz @ 5 min, 1.5 oz afterflameout @ 165-175 degrees F

Wyeast Rogue Pacman

Just going to steep grains for 20 min @ 160-165
going to heat honey to 150 for 20 min and cool to 70 degrees without removing lid to retain honey flavor.

Tastybrew.com says this batch will be:
OG 1.066
FG 1.017
IBU 29
ABV 6.3%
SRM 22

I know the yeast isn't a belgain one and alot of the ingredients don't match the flavor profile but the beer's og/fg/ibu/abv and srm fit perfectly into that category. *shrug* ANARCHY BREWS RULE!!!!!:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

I am inspired by your recipe and since i need to pull my beer off of my pacman yeast i want to do a batch on top of it. Looks good to me, i am going to make some small changes but we should compare notes...i also live in salem...

Klainmeister said:
I am inspired by your recipe and since i need to pull my beer off of my pacman yeast i want to do a batch on top of it. Looks good to me, i am going to make some small changes but we should compare notes...i also live in salem...
Right on! Love this area. Some of the best water in the world! Although I hear it's pretty good in colorado as well. Do you frequent Homebrew Heaven? That's where I get all my goods. Mainly cause I like small businesses. I'll pay a touch more for a product to keep local stores around. As for the recepie... Not sure what's up with tastybrew.com but I came out with 1.077 as an OG. *shrug* well, that site is great for a rough estimate at least. Oh darn, going to have a higher alcohol beer. Shucks! *EVIL GRIN* I'm halfway glad I got a higher OG. Now instead of hitting the steep button on tastybrew.com I know to hit mash. My barleywine would have ended up at about 14%..... not sure if pacman would make it there. I know it makes it to 13, but 14... :tank:

Yeah, the willamete valley and bavaria, my two homes. Anyways, i am actually down in corvallis for school now so i dont frequent doug at homebrew heaven all that much anymore. I'll let you know how my batch works out. I've never used belgian candi before so i'm exciting. Prost maenner!

Right on! GO BEAVERS! hehe :) Doug is a stud! There is another brew shop in town. The owner put me off by putting Doug down. I don't go there. I love local buisnesses, especially local home brew shops! And bars with more than one good beer on tap. And local pizza joints. oh yeah, and the local hardware store!!! Hail the plumbing dept!!!! *chuckle*:mug: :rockin:

Back