IPA Adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude25

Reaction score
I love IPA's and am going make my first one soon. The recipe that i will follow is:
9 pounds coopers light extract
1/2 lb. 40L Crystal
1/4 lb Carpils
1/2 lb. Victory
2oz. Centennial @60 min
2oz. Centennial @ 0 min
1 oz Centennial Dry hop

I have 1 oz of Cascade in my fridge an i would like to add it late in the boil to get that citrusy flavor/aroma that I love. Any suggestions on how i should adjust the recipe so i don't end up with an over or under amount of hoppyness?

personally i would add it either as a dryhop or within flameout. Anything added in the last 5 minutes or so wont contribute much bitterness in terms of IBU but you will still perceive it. This is going to be plenty hoppy as any ipa should-I say toss it in somewhere in the last 5 minutes or dryhop and you will be fine, no need to adjust.

I would add the cascade at dryhop, i absolutely LOVE the citrusy aroma and flavor cascades give. And allot of that is lost in the boil, so i would definitely add them to the dryhop.

I'd spread out the hop additions to add a bit of depth and complexity to the hop profile. Maybe something like this:

1 oz. Centennial @ 60 min.
1 oz. Centennial @ 30 min.
1 oz. Centennial @ 20 min.
1 oz. Centennial @ 5 min.
1 oz. Centennial @ Flameout
1 oz. Cascade dry-hop

Your existing hop schedule would result in a beer with very little hop flavor but a ton of bitterness and aroma. This hop schedule would make for a smooth bitterness and improved hop flavor and aroma with the same amount of hops. Just an opinion from a hophead. :D

Thanks guys. So it wouldn't be overkill to dry hop with 1 oz of cascade and 1 oz of Centennial to an already hoppy beer?

Oh, interesting Hooter.

I'm a strong believer in spreading the hops throughout the entire boil in small additions, instead of a few large additions. This will give your beer a very smooth bitterness with a very pleasant hop flavor and aroma.

The centennial is only 8% so it may not be THAT bitter.

Your going to end up with virtually the same IBU's either way, but with the hop schedule I suggested you'll end up with a much more well rounded and complex hop profile.

As for the Victory, if you steep it you'll get light color and a toasted/biscuity flavor and aroma from it, but no fermentables. I personally think it's a nice addition to your recipe but that's just me.

I'd spread out the hop additions to add a bit of depth and complexity to the hop profile. Maybe something like this:

1 oz. Centennial @ 60 min.
1 oz. Centennial @ 30 min.
1 oz. Centennial @ 20 min.
1 oz. Centennial @ 5 min.
1 oz. Centennial @ Flameout
1 oz. Cascade dry-hop

Your existing hop schedule would result in a beer with very little hop flavor but a ton of bitterness and aroma. This hop schedule would make for a smooth bitterness and improved hop flavor and aroma with the same amount of hops. Just an opinion from a hophead. :D
+1 for hooter, I did a hop head ipa with a similar hop schedule and turned out great. I am looking forwad to brewing it again

I went ahead an adjusted the recipe like Hooter suggested, but i did it a little different.
1 oz centennial @ 60 min
1 oz centennial @ 50 min
1 oz cascade @ 10 min
1 oz centennial @ 5 min
1 oz Centennial @ flame out
Then i will dry hop with 1 oz centennial.
We'll see how it turns out! The O.G. was 1.055 which is a little disappointing for 9 lbs of extract. Not sure why that happend.

Your OG was not that low. Either the temperature was way to hot when you took a reading or it wasn't completely mixed. RDWHAHB. As long as you control your ferm. temp. you're gonna love it!

Back