American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
about fifteen minutes away from clemson. the only one i know of is the bet-mar liquid hobby in columbia, and that is 3 hours away from me is there one any closer?

Holy doo doo! 15 minutes from Clemson is like N. Georgia isn't it?
Sorry. I was thinking maybe you were much further north. I can't help you much down there.

Ed,

I made this recipe and experimented with dry hopping:

I added 1 oz of cascades to the keg before sticking it in the fridge a few days ago. It's not fully carbed yet, but I tasted it tonight, and there's a strong medicine like flavor. I brewed this over 6 weeks ago.

This is more of a dry hopping question. Do I need to wait for the hops to mellow, or did I use too much hops?

I made a 10 gal batch, the first keg I did not dry hop and turned out good. This second keg is the same batch. I'm wondering if dry hopping takes time to develop the good flavors associated.

In the past I've brewed an IPA, dry hopped in the secondary and turned out great.

This one has me perplexed.

Thanks

Ed,

I made this recipe and experimented with dry hopping:

I added 1 oz of cascades to the keg before sticking it in the fridge a few days ago. It's not fully carbed yet, but I tasted it tonight, and there's a strong medicine like flavor. I brewed this over 6 weeks ago.

If your first keg of the same brew turned out good, then it must be the dry hopping. Time is your friend on this one.

How did you sanitize the keg?

I sanitize all my kegs by cleaning them first with hot water and a brush, then pumping another gallon of hot water through and out the tap with C02. Then I put 2 gallons of hot water with brewvint cleanitizer from austin homebrew. I swish it around to ensure I hit all surfaces for a minute or so (30 second contact time min). Then I pump the cleanitizer through the liquid out with C02 and my picnic tap attached.

So far it's worked well, on other kegs.

One thing I messed up: I used the herb ball in the keg. I soaked the herb ball in hot water, but forgot to add my sanitizer. Then I dumped the hop pellets in the ball and dropped into the keg. I was thinking that since the beer is already fermented out and I only dropped the hop ball in there three days ago, that it's doubtful that the hop ball infected the brew. What do you think?

I'll continue to let it sit and sample daily. A man has to do what he has to do :D.

I got the hop ball out with a long spoon and of course I got my hand in there. Although I did sanitize the spoon and hand first. This is hilarious in a bad way.

I buttoned the keg back up, drew off a few ounces and wow, taste like good old fashioned pale ale.

The hopball was causing the crazy flavor. So I'm wondering if 1 oz was too much, or did I need to wait for the hop intensity to dissipate? or do I just not recognize good hop flavor? My favorite kind of beer is IPA, so I'm thinking one of the first two options (too many hops or not enough time in the keg) caused the flavor to seem so far off.

Now for my next trick where I pray that my hand didn't infect the beer. Off I go to drink as fast as I can!

Ed Wort

Would Amarillo make a good sub in this beer? I find I brew your beer Haus Pale Ale fairly often and would like to pick up a pound of hops rather than purchase them by the ounce.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Ed Wort

Would Amarillo make a good sub in this beer? I find I brew your beer Haus Pale Ale fairly often and would like to pick up a pound of hops rather than purchase them by the ounce.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Sure it will. Watch the AA% though. You might want to check out our new supporting vendor who is selling 2008 Cascade for $26 a pound and stock up on that so you can continue to brew the beer as the recipe calls for.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/cascade-willamette-hops-new-website-92182/

For all of you FWH'ers out there. What do you suggest to use for the FWH's? I've heard the 60 min addition or the middle additions? Never done it before, but want to start with this Pale Ale. Any recommendations?

I used 50% of my 60 min addition, and left the rest the same.

not tasted it yet...i will taste the hydro sample this weekend when i bottle it.

For all of you FWH'ers out there. What do you suggest to use for the FWH's? I've heard the 60 min addition or the middle additions? Never done it before, but want to start with this Pale Ale. Any recommendations?

FWHing by definition is the use of the flavoring or aroma hops, as the FWH addition. They recommend using approx. 30% of the total hop bill for this.

For THIS brew, youd generally use the 15 minute and 5 minute additions, for a total of .5oz as your FHW.

On most recipes you do not want to use your 60 minute hop addition for your FWH, because generally these are higher AA bittering hops and FWH is meant to be used with noble, aroma or flavoring hops only. Also, with the higher AA utilization, you my not have as pleasing of a hop profile if you use typical 60 minute bittering hops as FWH additions.

In general, keep your 60 minute addition the same.... move flavor and aroma hops to the FWH, a total of 30% of your hop bill approximately. It is GREAT in IPA and APA brews. I speak from experience.

FWHing by definition is the use of the flavoring or aroma hops, as the FWH addition. They recommend using approx. 30% of the total hop bill for this.

For THIS brew, youd generally use the 15 minute and 5 minute additions, for a total of .5oz as your FHW.

On most recipes you do not want to use your 60 minute hop addition for your FWH, because generally these are higher AA bittering hops and FWH is meant to be used with noble, aroma or flavoring hops only. Also, with the higher AA utilization, you my not have as pleasing of a hop profile if you use typical 60 minute bittering hops as FWH additions.

In general, keep your 60 minute addition the same.... move flavor and aroma hops to the FWH, a total of 30% of your hop bill approximately. It is GREAT in IPA and APA brews. I speak from experience.

I read a very lon g thread in which you were quite active re: FWH... i did do an IPA with magnums as a fwh, and ended up boiling for about 80 minutes, since i brough my first mash runnings to a boil, and was not ready with the second sparge, i do not have adequate heating elements for sparging, that will need to be addressed soon.
i do not mind the few extra IBU, and am worried i might lose some aroma if i used those hops as FWH. I guess i should just listen to those who know better?

fwiw, the IPA was magnum./nugget only, no noble/aroma hops used.

I'm mashing this right now. I'd like to let this ferment in my basement rather than trying to control it in my house. The basement is at about 60F. Is that going to be to cold? I've had some trouble with high ferment temps lately. Or is there a way I can raise the temp a few degrees?

I'm mashing this right now. I'd like to let this ferment in my basement rather than trying to control it in my house. The basement is at about 60F. Is that going to be to cold? I've had some trouble with high ferment temps lately. Or is there a way I can raise the temp a few degrees?

Let it get going first before you take it downstairs. Nottingham will ferment about 10 degrees higher than ambient so you will be fine.

Lately I've been experimenting with FWH (first wort hopping) and I tried it with this recipe. About .5 oz for FWH taken mostly from the later additions but I reduced the first additions a little. I used fresh 7.8% AA 2008 cascade pellets. Fermented at 55-59 degrees f, 3 weeks in primary. OG 4.6, FG 1.1. I also re-hydrated my yeast before pitching.

I'm trying a sample from the last bottle I filled, which was only half full, and wow! Huge difference! I love it!!!! It has a very nice sweet citrus nose.

I brewed this today as well, only with .5lb of Munich instead of the crystal. Mostly because that's what I had on hand. Hydro tasted AWESOME. I also dry hopped with .3 oz of Cascade (leftover...didn't want to pitch it!). The only problem was my OG. It was 1.044. Pretty low. I'm not sure what happened there, but it's the first beer that I didn't hit my numbers exactly on. Maybe it had something to do with the Munich?

This was my first AG. Missed OG completely (bad crush I later found out) so it's only a 3.5-4% beer. But nonetheless, I just tried a bottle after only a week in the bottle....and damn is it good for my first AG or by any homebrew standards.

Thanks!

Just curious... the last two batches I've been getting a 6%-7+% ABV, Not really complaining. :D I figured the first time was because I had 2 extra pounds of 2-row in the recipe. that one was 7%. This time I hit 6.5% and followed the recipe dead on. Any Idea? :confused:

I use a 5gal Igloo for the MLT. The Mash water held at 152 degrees. and boiled for 60 min.

Just curious... the last two batches I've been getting a 6%-7+% ABV, Not really complaining. :D I figured the first time was because I had 2 extra pounds of 2-row in the recipe. that one was 7%. This time I hit 6.5% and followed the recipe dead on. Any Idea? :confused:

I use a 5gal Igloo for the MLT. The Mash water held at 152 degrees. and boiled for 60 min.

What are you getting for an starting gravity? At 80% efficiency, it should be 1.054 for 5.5 gallons of wort.

Nottingham does ferment out very well, so it does add to the alcohol. I usually hit around 5.9% since I mill my own grain. No complaints on the ABV here too.

What are you getting for an starting gravity? At 80% efficiency, it should be 1.054 for 5.5 gallons of wort.

Nottingham does ferment out very well, so it does add to the alcohol. I usually hit around 5.9% since I mill my own grain. No complaints on the ABV here too.

this batch, I had a SG of 1.058 at 5.5 gal, and an FG of 1.009. Beer smith shows me at 6.39%

like I said not a problem, Just trying to figure out what the culprit might be..
So I can adjust accordingly next time..

Everyone that tried the 7% version liked the taste but couldn't drink more than 2 or 3 and not get nailed :D Including me...

I think the latest version might be a little more user friendly...:)

I just kegged this today after 15 days in the primary.
It was already very clear, clearer than any other beer I have made at this point in its lifetime.
My OG was 1.052 and the FG was 1.011, and wow did it taste great :rockin:
Two weeks (if I can wait that long) in the keg carbing / conditioning and this bad boy should be ready to go :tank:

This is one of the best Pale Ales I've ever had. This really does benefit from aging, it gets better by the day.
DSC01563.jpg

This was brewed on 11/02, and the pic doesn't show how clear this really is, I can see the fingerprints on the opposite side of the glass.

well here it is, first AG beer and first glass. Mine looks a bit lighter than the one post above mine. Still could use some more aging though.

Just picked up the ingredients for this and psyched to brew it tomorrow. However, I changed from Crystal 10L to 60L since I did not want my brew to look like piss (too light). I usually do not stray if I do a clone, but I don't like yellow beer. See how this one turns out. Chinook was the deal sealer.

I tasted my 2 week old batch today and it tasted great for green beer. I am very excited to try it again in 2 more weeks! The only difference is that I used Munich malt instead of Vienna because my local shop was out. :(

Aging does do a lot I have a keg on tap right now that is 4 months old and it is quite tasty course I would think it's probably on the tail end of it's prime. Two months is probably the sweet spot for tastiness. I always make a 10 gal batch of Ed's Pale ale and with all of the other beers I have on tap I don't seem to go through this one as fast as I used to. I will say this beer goes well in a black and tan I'm looking forward to having my Guinness clone kegged in another couple of months, just in time for St. Patty's day.

I am making this right now and am in the middle of the mash. It, the mash, seems real thick, I doughed-in with 17 quarts. I am using a Coleman Extreme 70 Quart cooler. Could the size of the cooler be playing a role in this?

I am making this right now and am in the middle of the mash. It, the mash, seems real thick, I doughed-in with 17 quarts. I am using a Coleman Extreme 70 Quart cooler. Could the size of the cooler be playing a role in this?

4.25 gallons? I usually dough in with 3.67 or so (14-15 quarts) so its definitely not a lack of water thats making it seem thick :D

I like it more and more as it ages in the keg. It's been there about 2-3 weeks now (damn that lack of record keeping), and it's tasting pretty damn good.

I used the same cooler and same recipe, everything will come out fine.

You'll like this one, but if you're piss looks like the pictures................you should see a doctor.

The various pictures and recipe show the difference. I think it depends on where/what folks are getting for their 2-row and (mostly) Vienna. I used Marris Otter and my Vienna is at SRM 7. If I used the crystal 10L, it would look clearer. I used 40L and think (just based on transfer to 2nd) it is spot on.

FWIW, I am only questioning the color, not the quality. So, far, looks great and smells great.

Take a look at the last 2 pics, and see the color difference.

Just made 5 gallons last night, and Ed was right about the Fast Fermentation! Its was bubbling every 10 sec when i went to bed at 12, and now its going like crazy! Also I'm stoked that i hit the target SG right on the mark!
Cheers Ed for a killer recipe:mug:

Just pulled my first pint a minute ago. I've been on here too long to ask a stupid question like this, but it seems like people are pleased with this after only a few weeks. It's only been 3 weeks (2.5 in primary, 4 days on the gas). I know technically this is green, but I've read and have made some homebrew that was excellent after 3 weeks. Am I being unpatient? Also, I forgot my irish moss when I brewed this, but I did put some gelatin in the keg. Mine is not even close to being clear. I normally make darker brews and am not real concerned with clarity, but I'm trying to hone my craft. What gives? I would post a picture, but I'm too f@#king stupid to figure out how to do it.

Patience is required here. Did you use any irish moss or whirlfloc? Time in the cold keg will drop it clear in time.

Forgot my irish moss, never used whirlfloc, and added gelatin to the keg and racked on top of it. I brought a cup of water to about 170, added the gelatin, let it "bloom" for 20 mins. Cooled it and added straight to the keg. Patience is a virtue though. I guess this is a little more delicate than the stouts, and brown ales I've been brewing recently.

After over 2 weeks in the keg, this beer is less clear now than it was when i racked it! Any ideas what gives?
Typically my brews are perfectly clear by week two (I dont use any clearing agents either).
Either way, this definitely isnt a 4 week beer, which I find somewhat suprising give that its a pretty simple brew.
But oh well, I will still drink a few pints tonight but will try to hold off for another week or two after tonight... :mug:

Back