Need Ideas on what to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinmcdevitt

Reaction score
Ok here's the issue I am going to brew some real beer for a bunch of guys in my car club that don't drink good beer (though I have 2 hooked on Apfelwein),
I only have little over a month for it to ferment, so it has to be a quick one.
So what are some decently priced recipes that will be fermented quick enough, I'll be kegging it so carbonation is not a worry.

and to quote what I posted on my cars forum
"I'll be providing fresh beer (made by me (I'm taking requests as to what style to make (no bud/miller/coors style (unless you would like me to piss in one of my kegs and chill it down for you, I drink enough high alcohol beers so it might taste just like butt lite)"

thanks for the ideas
now to figure out what else Im brewing for myself I'm thinking maybe a barley wine, ipa, milk stout, or maybe I'll be insane and do all of them :)

Barleywine is out of the question, it's going to take months to be ready. I'd go with something like Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale, or Edwort's Haus Ale, or a simple hefeweizen. At a month you are pretty much pushing it for anything so you might end up serving a slightly green beer.

+1 one on a hefe. It's one of the few beers that can hook a BMC crowd. I did a paulaner style from a recipe I got off this site. With a slice of orange, just about anyone (even non-beer drinking girls) is going to enjoy it. Just tell them it's "like a blue moon."

McKBrew said:
Barleywine is out of the question, it's going to take months to be ready. I'd go with something like Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale, or Edwort's Haus Ale, or a simple hefeweizen. At a month you are pretty much pushing it for anything so you might end up serving a slightly green beer.

The barleywine would be for me :)
I think I might go with a hefe
I dont want to give green beer, if I can help it

MikeyP said:
+1 one on a hefe. It's one of the few beers that can hook a BMC crowd. I did a paulaner style from a recipe I got off this site. With a slice of orange, just about anyone (even non-beer drinking girls) is going to enjoy it. Just tell them it's "like a blue moon."

I might try that one, or something like it

thanks guys for the quick replys

I made an English brown ale (Elbro Nertke brown ale) from an extract recipe in The Comlete Joy of Homebrewing. It was excellent in 2 weeks. One in primary and one in bottle. It was also a cheap recipe to make. I plan on making this beer often because it is very tasty and it's ready in such a short time. It may not appeal to the BMC crowd as much as a Heffe but it is a very smooth and easy to drink beer. :tank:

Good ol' American Wheat. I think this may be an even better choice than Hefe for the BMC drinking crowd if lightly hopped. It is light, both in color and tast, and is good drinking reletively young. I have also made morebeer's "American Lite" extract recipe which a lot of people like, but it is a little boring.

An English mild will be in its prime at a month. It may also be a smoother transition from BMC for your buddies. You could even partigyle a barley wine for yerself and a mild for your friends. An ordinary bitter is also feasible if you want something hoppier, but I'm not sure the BMC guys would appreciate it.

I'm not trying to get everyone to like it (that would be great, but I doubt it).

I am leaning towards a american wheat or a hefe since I like those, and if it doesnt go I dont want to have a bunch of something that I wont drink left over

any one have links to some decent recipes? yes I am being lazy here :mug:

justinmcdevitt said:
I'm not trying to get everyone to like it (that would be great, but I doubt it).

I am leaning towards a american wheat or a hefe since I like those, and if it doesnt go I dont want to have a bunch of something that I wont drink left over

any one have links to some decent recipes? yes I am being lazy here :mug:

You don't even really need a recipe for a hefe, just use

6.6 lbs Wheat LME
.5 oz Hallertau at 60 min
Hefe yeast

It'll be great! Boil 2 gallons with a couple pounds of the LME and hops, add the rest at 15 minutes, cool it down (easy to do with freezer water) and pitch! Hookup a blowoff for security and let that thing go, it'll be great to bottle in 10 days.

jmiracle said:
You don't even really need a recipe for a hefe, just use

6.6 lbs Wheat LME
.5 oz Hallertau at 60 min
Hefe yeast

It'll be great! Boil 2 gallons with a couple pounds of the LME and hops, add the rest at 15 minutes, cool it down (easy to do with freezer water) and pitch! Hookup a blowoff for security and let that thing go, it'll be great to bottle in 10 days.

I might have to try that, no added sugar? maybe some honey or 5 lbs of dextrose :) maybe I should do a yeast starter for that one

I've used 2 lbs of clover honey in this recipe and it turned out great, I've also used an extra unspecified amount of DME (about a pound probably). The honey added a slight honey aroma and some dryness/higher ABV and was very nice.

Back