Blending mead and beer for a braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am working on a recipe now for a pumpkin braggot, and have been reviewing it with a couple of BJCP's. A big concern is that the honey is going to get swallowed up nearly immediately by the yeast thanks to all of the simple sugars, instead of the malt, which is very valid (beersmith showed a FG of 1.003 which at nearly 13% ABV would be thin rocket fuel).

So, what I am considering is making a simple sack mead recipe with pumpkin, halved to make a 2.5-3 gal batch. Then, making a pumpkin ale (based on an english barleywine), aiming for a 3 gallon batch. Then, after racking them off lees/trub, blending them together with some oak, spices to age for 30 days, the last 7 of which will have dry hops added. Then rerack again to a tertiary fermenter for about 6 months (at least) of bulk aging. Finally, prime and bottle.

My concern is having 2 competing strains of yeast added, and what that would do when priming for bottling. Could this work?

The other concern voiced was racking 2-3 times and oxidation, but I'm now more used to meads where racking them off lees is a pretty regular occurance.

Your input is appreciated.

I have combined beers at bottling. That way each beer is just the way i want it. One yeast strain will win the priming sugar, but it doesn't change the taste or the carbonation enough to notice.

I made a Braggot, but I did not do it by blending. I used about 10 lbs of honey and I used it just like I used to do with extract batches. I dissolved the honey in warm water and then I steeped about 5 lbs of specialty grains into it. Mine came out really nice, but at first it was very phenolic and it took about a year for that to subdue. It's mellowed out a lot, but, like a lot of meads, it's more wine-like than beer-like. Next time I may consider blending, but that's how I did it. Good luck.

Back