A question about perfect machines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I was walking along and then I fell down, tripped over the lettuce cutter.

This morning I see now just how much I was mixing up the terms. So something to extract the sweet goodness out of the grain.... Crushing the grain is something entirely different, I see. Gonna try to get that rigged up better today. Might be a little more complicated than what I got thrown together now. I got a big cooler and some tubing and some stainless steel metal pieces(not even gonna try to name them)..... It seems like it'll work, but, hey, won't hurt to look up how others built theirs....

Somebody say threesome? No sword fighting though.

So, I was walking along and then I fell down, tripped over the lettuce cutter.
That's just too funny. :D
I may have mentioned that... sorry though.... sword fighting is a given.
No comment... :eek: :D
I take up arms with no man. That includes swords BL

That's fine, show up for the fight unarmed... we'll just see what happens... could possibly be a good thing...

BTW, I never fight fair. :D

I am rethinking mine and it's starting to look more like yours now. Thanks for the pics.

You can use one of these in a round cooler with great success. I built a 10 gallon RubberMaid cooler mash tun with one. Just install a 1/2" ball valve through the cooler wall (use the hole the spigot uses originally) and a couple of fittings to go to a 1/2" barb. Then use a short piece of silicone tubing (1/2" ID) to run from the internal barb to the fitting. You can push the ends of the fitting so that they lay flat on the cooler bottom (so turn them 90 degrees at the brass fitting side) while keeping the outlet of the fitting in line with the barb. IMO/IME, a LOT easier than trying to fabricate some convoluted manifold that will take you far longer (and probably not give you any better results).

Inside the cooler will look very similar to this, just with the T screen instead of the straight one.
3069-2797.jpg

So how is a squirrel grinder gonna be a mash tun?

Sorry, I was just mixed up on the terms, I meant to crush the grain, I didn't think the mash tun part was that important, as long as I got it filtered and sparged(I think those are the right words), but rethinking that today and trying to get set up and ready.

Sorry, I was just mixed up on the terms, I meant to crush the grain, I didn't think the mash tun part was that important, as long as I got it filtered and sparged(I think those are the right words), but rethinking that today and trying to get set up and ready.

It's important if you don't want to be fighting stuck sparges from the start. The manifold/element in the bottom of the mash tun keeps the grain from going through so you only extract the wort. Having too large of an opening (either holes or slits) will cause grain to get stuck and give you no end of grief. Or just use a grain bag and do a modified BIAB in the cooler. I would just install at least a 1/2" ball valve in the cooler before you get started that way.

You can use one of these in a round cooler with great success. I built a 10 gallon RubberMaid cooler mash tun with one. Just install a 1/2" ball valve through the cooler wall (use the hole the spigot uses originally) and a couple of fittings to go to a 1/2" barb. Then use a short piece of silicone tubing (1/2" ID) to run from the internal barb to the fitting. You can push the ends of the fitting so that they lay flat on the cooler bottom (so turn them 90 degrees at the brass fitting side) while keeping the outlet of the fitting in line with the barb. IMO/IME, a LOT easier than trying to fabricate some convoluted manifold that will take you far longer (and probably not give you any better results).

Inside the cooler will look very similar to this, just with the T screen instead of the straight one.

Okay, yes, I watched a video earlier and it was very similar to that. Thanks!!!

Or just use a grain bag and do a modified BIAB in the cooler. I would just install at least a 1/2" ball valve in the cooler before you get started that way.

Okay, I may try that method... Should have thought this through better before ordering the AG kits, but, hey, I'll make it work!!!

It's already coming together and I think this will be the perfect machine for the job... not going show pics through, til I get my kits and see if it works. Because if it works... then you can't laugh at it.

We shall see about that... I'll hold off until you've built it and post pictures... Just leave your squirrel squisher to processing squirrel meat... :eek: :D

Yes, hold off... this set up I'm planning might work... we'll see and thanks for the vote of confidence.

Oh, you mean go buy a new one when I already got one? I'm getting it cleaned up, got it taken apart now, dunking it in the hydrogenator, that'll clean it up nice. I must say though, residual squirrel is pretty gross.

Yes, hold off... this set up I'm planning might work... we'll see and thanks for the vote of confidence.

Oh, you mean go buy a new one when I already got one? I'm getting it cleaned up, got it taken apart now, dunking it in the hydrogenator, that'll clean it up nice. I must say though, residual squirrel is pretty gross.

And you were just planning to toss the grain right into it, weren't you...

What do you have for a hopper for the squisher?? You need a way to feed the grain to it.

And you were just planning to toss the grain right into it, weren't you...

What do you have for a hopper for the squisher?? You need a way to feed the grain to it.

No, I was going to clean it up first...

I have something rigged up for that, grabbed some stuff out of the recycle bin, took a little saw to it and I think I got that part figured out. Super glue is my friend. I'm not sure if I know what you are talking about, but I think I do.

No, I was going to clean it up first...

I have something rigged up for that, grabbed some stuff out of the recycle bin, took a little saw to it and I think I got that part figured out. Super glue is my friend. I'm not sure if I know what you are talking about, but I think I do.

:smack: :smack: :smack:

Dang this is turning out to be more entertaining than the people I see when I have to go into the city.
I just wish someone sold popcorn.

Happy New Year!!! Anyone do anything fun? I brewed an altbier kit I got for Christmas with my daughter.

Well, it's a new year and I decided to read back though this topic, maybe figure out what happened and learn something about myself and other people.

This is what I learned:

"Perfect" is all in how you look at it.

I often speak before I think.

My thoughts are like my chives, all mixed up and going in different directions.

I'm always just now figuring out what happened 2 pages ago.

I regularly call things by the wrong name, causing mass confusion, if only in my own mind.

This reminds me of venting to my best friend on the phone last week. Half way through, I ask "Do you understand what I am talking about??" Her response, "Well, I'm catching bits and pieces." So this type of thing does transform into my real life. No wonder why I feel so misunderstood.

This year, I will slow down, take a deep breath. I will think before I blurt something out. I will look up the meaning of words I don't understand before assuming I know the meaning. I will make my first all grain batch. And if there is something I need to buy to make it work properly, I will buy it instead of trying to rig it up. I will lay off trying to be a perfectionist and failing miserably.

What are you rambling about now?

If you slow down, think about what you are saying before you say it, think about all the fun that would be missed!

Be yourself and don't worry about it. Have a beer, make up some more soup that the dog wont eat and have fun.

What are you rambling about now?

If you slow down, think about what you are saying before you say it, think about all the fun that would be missed!

Be yourself and don't worry about it. Have a beer, make up some more soup that the dog wont eat and have fun.

I'm trying to learn and grow as a person here... oh smurf it.

New Goal:
Just relax and enjoy life. Ahh, yes, that sounds easier.

You shouldn't give up on rigging up your own stuff. Sometimes buying something is better but sometimes you can make something better.. It just depends on what you need and what you know how to do.

You shouldn't give up on rigging up your own stuff. Sometimes buying something is better but sometimes you can make something better.. It just depends on what you need and what you know how to do.

My kids and nieces and nephews think I can make anything. One day we were playing outside and one of them wanted to write something down. Screw a pen or pencil!!! I grabbed one the quills that fell off the chicken, some poison red berries and a flat piece of wood. Here ya go, showed him how to use it. They then spent the afternoon writing notes to each other.

Also built my daughter a Barbie house when she was little... built all the furniture too, complete with cushions on the couch and a comforter and pillows on the bed.

I know I come off as not really knowing what I am talking about, but I am very capable. I'll build what I can and buy what I can't. Hoping I won't have to buy anything though...

Back