What makes Sam Adams taste the way it does?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F250

Reaction score
I ask because I don't like the way Sam Adams tastes, so I'd like to avoid whatever it is. Is it the hops they use?

TIA

Rick:mug:

Which Sam Adams, They make many different beers.
What makes it taste the way it tastes? Well, that would be the recipe and the method they use to brew it.

If you don't like it don't drink it. Sam Adams is one of my favorite breweries.

Maybe you can email them for the ingredients.

The chance that you would make a beer that tastes like Sam Adams is pretty slim unless you were to actually try to make it.

Which Sam Adams, They make many different beers.
What makes it taste the way it tastes? Well, that would be the recipe and the method they use to brew it.

If you don't like it don't drink it. Sam Adams is one of my favorite breweries.

Maybe you can email them for the ingredients.

The chance that you would make a beer that tastes like Sam Adams is pretty slim unless you were to actually try to make it.

Just the regular brew. I'm guessing it's either the yeast used or the hops. It has a rusty metallic bite at the end that I just hate. :eek:

I used to be super wary of breweries that produce as many different labels as Sam Adams does. I used to have more of a Steamwhistle philosophy towards brewing and breweries, that is, to "do one thing really well".

Then I had a Boston Lager.

Boy was I mistaken.

Just the regular brew. I'm guessing it's either the yeast used or the hops. It has a rusty metallic bite at the end that I just hate. :eek:

You need to be a bit more specific than that. Boston Ale, Boston Lager, etc.?

Personally, when I was buying beer, the Boston Ale was often a crap shoot to get something that didn't have a bitter finish to it. The Boston Lager finished cleaner. Still, I've not bought either (for home) in about two years, since I've been brewing. If I'm out, and that's the best choice, I'll have to decide between that and soda. Normally, the soda wins. :eek:

You need to be a bit more specific than that. Boston Ale, Boston Lager, etc.?

Personally, when I was buying beer, the Boston Ale was often a crap shoot to get something that didn't have a bitter finish to it. The Boston Lager finished cleaner. Still, I've not bought either (for home) in about two years, since I've been brewing. If I'm out, and that's the best choice, I'll have to decide between that and soda. Normally, the soda wins. :eek:

Sorry, the Boston Lager. For a good while it was their only product offered out here in the hinterlands. :D

Rick

Sorry, the Boston Lager. For a good while it was their only product offered out here in the hinterlands. :D

Rick

Probably because that's the only recipe that they could get people to stomach, and want more of. :eek:

I was never really satisfied with what Sam Adams sells. It's one of the reasons why I've gone as far as I have into brewing my own.

Probably because that's the only recipe that they could get people to stomach, and want more of. :eek:

I was never really satisfied with what Sam Adams sells. It's one of the reasons why I've gone as far as I have into brewing my own.

I hear you. About the only thing I can find local that's worth the effort are the offerings from our one and only micro brewery. Their English Brown Ale and their Oktoberfest are quite good.

I'm hoping with some practice I too can brew something good.:ban:

Rick

My English brown ale is going on tap today. :rockin: I just need to clean the line that my honey ale was on (kicked last night).

Brew more and you'll get even better. Depending on where you're getting your recipes, you could look into better sources. :eek: I've been brewing my own recipes since my third batch. :ban:

My English brown ale is going on tap today. :rockin: I just need to clean the line that my honey ale was on (kicked last night).

Brew more and you'll get even better. Depending on where you're getting your recipes, you could look into better sources. :eek: I've been brewing my own recipes since my third batch. :ban:

I'm still trying to decide if my next brew will be an English brown, or an Irish red. I've got an Oktoberfest kit I need to use once I find a 2nd fridge for the basement.

I hope your brown ale turns out great! :mug:

Rick

Go for the Irish Red! You'll love it as variation from the English Brown it sounds like you've been drinking.

I've brewed the recipe before. I try to keep some of it in rotation so that I can enjoy it.

I really like having three brews on tap at all times. Means I can pull a glass of any of them, or all of them (the same day/night) without worry. Don't miss bottling batches either. :D

I blame whoever brewed it for the way it tastes.

Go to [Cincinnati] Ohio and complain... That's where the majority of what Sam Adams produces is brewed and bottled. A tiny fraction is done in the Boston location.

Either way, I just can't care enough about Sam Adam's brews to pay for any of them. At least not what they cost these days (for the ones I would want to try).

IMO, boston lager is just meh. It's what SA puts out for the masses and one of their least interesting beers. I used to get variety cases of their stuff from costco when i was on the east coast. There are some great beers coming from SA as well as a couple horrible and boring ones.

Go for the Irish Red! You'll love it as variation from the English Brown it sounds like you've been drinking.

I'll definitely being doing some of the red soon. I've a batch (my first) of British Bitter fermenting in the coal room right now. I want to try the red and also get some brown ale produced in the next month or so. I need to get the pipeline churning! :tank:

Rick

Back