Need a cider recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
Hi. I have 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider in my hands and I still don't know what I want to make. I've been reading the posts and it seems like everyone keeps recomending Edwort's Apfelwein for my first batch, but no one has accuratley described the taste of it. I definitley want a carbonated cider and I'm looking for something resembling a Woodchuck Amber, or Cider Jack style...(pretty much the same kind you would find in any grocery store or drive through). Is the Edwort's style as sweet as those or would it be drier? What about the overall taste...is it more wine-like? ABV is not a big concern to me, but if I had a choice I'd like it to be in the 6-7% range. Do I need to add more sugar to acheive this ABV and sweetness, or will it get there on it's own? Thanks in advance for all who help.

Edworts will be much drier because of the additinonal corn sugar and the high ABV-tolerant yeast.

If you're looking for some thing along the Wood chuck line...assuming the juice has been pasturized...

Simply add a packet of dry ale yeast to five gallons of apple juice/cider.

Let ferment out completely...probably 3-4 weeks.

Once you've reached terminal gravity...taste and then back sweeten by adding non fermentable sweetener.

I used a little bit of splenda on mine and it turned out crisp and slightly sweet. Some people will use lactose.

But again, if the cider has not been pasturized, you'll want to take measures to sterilize the juice (boil) first.

Do I need to add more sugar to acheive this ABV and sweetness

adding sugar will not add sweetness, it will ferment and add more alchohol. You probablt already knew that tho... I like Edworts! It is dry and tangy and tastes like cheap champagne if carbed. Now available in 5 gall batches at my house!
Try making a few test gallons in the juice bottles with rubber stoppers and see which you like best. It's a long time to wait for a gallon, but stoppers and airlocks are cheap. Kinda cool to have them lined up... everbody makin' bubbles!:cool:

Back