12% abv ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
How will yeast react different in 12% as opposed to 3% ABV ?

The answer i'm looking for , Will yeast get lethargic , slow down/get its a$$ kicked by the high ABV .

There are some new high yeast strains out in the market that will easily handle up to 12-15% ABV.

you will probably have to use a wine yeast to get that high of alcohol % lalvin EC-1118

White labs just came out with a san diego yeast, I really don't know much about it.

Oh, okay.. I've used San Diego super yeast a few times before, but never on something that high. nice to know.

I ahve never used it, not sure how high it will go? Does anyone?

Gear101 said:
I ahve never used it, not sure how high it will go? Does anyone?

I used it on an RIS recently. I shook like crazy to aerate and pitched a one gallon starter of the super yeast. The beer finished at 12.73% in one week.

karljrberno said:
How will yeast react different in 12% as opposed to 3% ABV ?

The answer i'm looking for , Will yeast get lethargic , slow down/get its a$$ kicked by the high ABV .

Pitching the proper amount of yeast and oxygenating adequatly should help you, although the yeast will be stressed no matter what towards the end, but expect a little longer on fermentation, most ale strands are able to compete in the 12% range no need for champagne yeast,expect long carbonation time if naturally doing it

I have taken WLP550 to 12.5 ish without much trouble. I did add a good amount of simple syrup after about 3 days or so. Do you have a certain recipe or style in mind?

I've used WLP001 for up to 11.5% before. It didn't have any trouble at all. Fast fermentation all the way down to 1.014 and with no noticeable off flavors. From my experience, most yeasts alcohol tolerances are higher than advertised as long as you take care of them. Proper pitch rate, oxygenation, temperature control, blah blah blah

I've used WLP001 for up to 11.5% before. It didn't have any trouble at all. Fast fermentation all the way down to 1.014 and with no noticeable off flavors. From my experience, most yeasts alcohol tolerances are higher than advertised as long as you take care of them. Proper pitch rate, oxygenation, temperature control, blah blah blah

WOW..I didn't know that 001 would go that high, I have a bunch to washed from an APA house beer, might try a big beer with some.

I tried a 14 abv 2ipa brewed with 001. It's pretty damn alcohol tolerant. The beer wasn't that good though. It was a little hot, although it maybe just needed some aging.

You did not mention the style you are trying, but all of the Belgian strains from Wyeast can handle 12%.

You did not mention the style you are trying, but all of the Belgian strains from Wyeast can handle 12%.

Speaking of that, I just read a post that someone made a BIG Belgian Blonde and went up to 14%?!?!?

Back