Quick Water Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
Brewing Tonight a simple APA

Water is as follows:

Sodium 11.5
Magnesium 3
Calcium 45
Sulfate 21.8
Chloride 16.1

Hardness 160 mg/l
alkalinity 140 mg/l

I have 5G RO to dilute with.. I have Canning Salt, Gypsum, and Epsom,

What would you all add?
i need 10G total for a all grain batch

thanks in ad

Brewing Tonight a simple APA

Water is as follows:

Sodium 11.5
Magnesium 3
Calcium 45
Sulfate 21.8
Chloride 16.1

Hardness 160 mg/l
alkalinity 140 mg/l

I have 5G RO to dilute with.. I have Canning Salt, Gypsum, and Epsom,

What would you all add?
i need 10G total for a all grain batch

thanks in ad

RO isn't "0" amounts of minerals, but it's close enough. I'm sure you know that your alkalinity is high, and that's why you have to dilute with RO. With 5 gallons of that water, and 5 gallons of tap water, (and assuming 12 pounds of grain?), I'd add 4 grams of CaS04 and 4 grams Calcium Chloride to the entire water. I'd definitely NOT use canning salt or epsom salts. If you don't have calcium chloride, get some as your chloride level is low. If you can't get some before you brew, it'll be ok but not as good as with it.

I'm new to water Chem so excuse me I this is a stupid question but caso4 is gypsum correct? And for sodium chloride I don't believe I have any. It would be a specialty item no?

I'm new to water Chem so excuse me I this is a stupid question but caso4 is gypsum correct? And Odontoceti have any sodium chloride I don't believe. It would be a specialty item no?

Yes, gypsum is CaS04. Calcium chloride, not sodium choride. You probably could sub table salt (sodium chloride) but I don't like adding sodium to my beer.

You should also have some sauermaltz (acid malt) to get your pH in range, maybe 3 ounces.

And yes it is 10# 2-row
12 oz c60
8oz cara

Hopped with simcoe and Amarillo to 40~ibu

Unfortunately I'm Brewing in an hour so I'll just be able to add the gypsum and my campden for chlorine. I use 5.2 but I know it is hit and miss with guys on here so we will see what happens I guess. thanks for everything. Where can I get calcium chloride for future reference

BTW looks like I found out why when I made your house ale 3 mos ago it was pretty harsh and rough

BTW looks like I found out why when I made your house ale 3 mos ago it was pretty harsh and rough

Yeah, that high alkalinity would do that!

I'd always cut 30-50% with RO and use calcium chloride and some gypsum to it. I'd also always try to get the mash pH in range- you're going to have a too-high mash pH.

So I read not about tanin extraction and dull beer. I guess I'll check with the club and see if I can find some acids. How did you figure what my ph would be? I'm really interested in water chemistry and would like to learn. Thanks yoop

The Ca or Mg concentration are wrong if the reported hardness is correct. I figure the Ca is probably more like 60 ppm if the hardness is to be believed.

Since the OP doesn't have acid, they need to cut that alkalinity. I would use all 5 gal of RO water to dilute the tap 50/50. Then adding 1 gram per gallon of gypsum will bring the calcium back up and bring the sulfate to a decent level for a PA (about 160 ppm).

The OP should do themselves a favor and walk over to their trash can and drop the 5.2 in there. Don't use it if you want good beer.

using the bru'n water spresadsheet

i diluted water 50% with RO
added 1g/Gal gypsum

recipe as follows:
10# 2-row
12oz C60
8oz Carapils

i get a estimated mash ph of 5.3

what am i doing wrong

other vitals

Cal 61
Mg 2 (I know this needs to be increased to at least 5)
Sodium 10
Sulfate 81
Chloride 6
Bicarbonate 93

Back