Another fermentation temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
Making my first mead after 15+ years. It is a traditional mead with 15 lbs of local honey, a little gypsum, and spring water. I bought some acid/yeast nutrient blend from AHB and used two packets of K1V as I don't have a spare fridge to ferment in. I picked this yeast as the temp range is from 50 - 95 degrees, and I "ass"umed this meant as long as it did not get over 95 degrees I would be fine (I live in Texas) as I have to ferment at room temp and I keep my thermostat at 78 degrees.

Brewed this on Memorial day and fermentation started within a few hours. Added half of the nutrient on Monday, and the other half yesterday (see the explosion post below). Yeast is still going nice and strong, but fermentation temps are hitting 84 degrees in the carboy and I an smelling a slight sulpher smell from the airlock. It is not melt-your-face strong, but reminds me of when I tried making an apple cider with apple juice and yeast. I would think 84 degrees would be fine with this yeast, but now I am wondering.

Reading the other recent post about fermentation made me wonder if I should not address this while it is still fermenting strong? Any thoughts?

The temperature ranges of the yeast are for their ability to survive and grow, not the range in which they make good wines and meads. Generally speaking, they do best near the low end of their temperature range. It was lucky you used K1V as it can make very good mead even at 84F. However, don't be surprised if after aging for a couple of months that it smells like band-aids, and it may take over a year for that to die down.

I have a similar issue as I also live in Texas, though I am making a batch of JAO mead. I used bread yeast and it's still bubbling four weeks in with the thermostat sitting at 80. I'm hoping it will be palatable at three months old in October.

The recipe for JAO works fine at 80 F (though it may take a little longer to smooth out)

Back