Bittering Hops ti gi with Hallertau Mit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Creating a BLonde ALe recipe and want to try Hallertau Mit as the aroma hop...based on a lot of high marks I have heard aboiut it.

Wondering what a good bittering hop would be in this case? Something beside Centennial (which I have tried and like very much)......because I just want to try something different.

Thanks!

Hallertau is only 5-6% AA,so it has a low bittering value. Typically an aroma hop. Magnum is a German hop with higher bittering value of 12-17%AA. It is prized for this,& it's aromas of spice & citrus.
So maybe use the Magnum for bittering,The Hallertau for flavor/aroma?...The two have flavors that are similar,so they should work well together.

Wooot......just like Donyek said in Shrek "That makes me feel real good inside".....

I actually though of using the Magnum for the reason you mentioned......now I feel better about trying it! Thanks!

High AA means I need to keep the amount and or time of boil down for bittering to keep in a reasonable range for Blonde Ale.

I get an IBU of 27.5 for the following in my recipe...which is at the upper limit for Blonde Ale.

magnum 14% AA, 0.75 oz for 50 mins
Hallertau Mit 4% AA, 1 oz 10 mins

Any comments anyone?

Back