How much should I pay for these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
Without going into too much detail, I had these built. For just the time, not the materials, what is a fair price for the labor?

5607610417_cf67c32b9a_z.jpg

No more than $20, I'd say. Tell you what, I'll give you $50 right now, just to help out a friend...

But I want that fan in the background too.

I'll take $20 for the 6 bottles of Nugget Nectar that used to be in the 6-pack. If you want the fan I'll take the whole $50.

But seriously, input is appreciated, I don't want to insult the guy.

Fair enough. The stands. Although it may appear to be a single stand it is in fact 3 individual stands, each has a burner mount, stainless if it matters from a labor standpoint (vs. aluminum for example).

Fair enough. The stands. Although it may appear to be a single stand it is in fact 3 individual stands, each has a burner mount, stainless if it matters from a labor standpoint (vs. aluminum for example).

did the builder cut all the pieces and weld them, or were the pieces already cut when you brought them to him, and he just did the welds?

Well it looks like the builder did not cut a bunch of small square pieces to fill the ends of the tubing so that cuts down on the labor time. I would guess he has at least 3-4 hours into building this. You could call around the different metal shops in your area and ask what their hourly labor rate was. If this is a buddy you would have paid "under the table" then you could probably reduce that hourly labor rate by 20% and multiply by how many hours you figure it took him or he said it took him. That should get you pretty close.

Hope this helps
Mark

I will in a separate thread Jet, just a little sneak peek here, want to get through a dry (wet) run and then I'll take a bunch of photos and outline the build.

Bachhus, thanks for the input.

if all he did was weld it up then i would say 6 hours minimum at $75 and hour, so about $450 for mig welding, if tigged multiply that number x3($1350) Some shops charge in the neighborhood of $100 an hour for welding to pay for the welding materials and labor. Alot of shops dont want to mess with stuff like that and overcharge the work to make it worth theyre time, most shops are setup for production for repeat customers. I orked at a local job shop and theres no way we would bid that at 3-4 hours, theres to much risk involved with stainless, the material is expensive and if the welder messed something up they would have replace the material, carbon steel is a different story, much cheaper to have welded since the material is cheap and much easier to weld. If i were welding it up out of my garage i would charge about $150-$200 depending on how well the pieces fit together, if it were mild steel it would be about $100-$150

if all he did was weld it up then i would say 6 hours minimum at $75 and hour, so about $450 for mig welding, if tigged multiply that number x3($1350) Some shops charge in the neighborhood of $100 an hour for welding to pay for the welding materials and labor. Alot of shops dont want to mess with stuff like that and overcharge the work to make it worth theyre time, most shops are setup for production for repeat customers. I orked at a local job shop and theres no way we would bid that at 3-4 hours, theres to much risk involved with stainless, the material is expensive and if the welder messed something up they would have replace the material, carbon steel is a different story, much cheaper to have welded since the material is cheap and much easier to weld. If i were welding it up out of my garage i would charge about $150-$200 depending on how well the pieces fit together, if it were mild steel it would be about $100-$150

I was going to say ballpark $400 + all the homebrew he wants

More info: It was done at work on lunch so any materials and costs were free. I was thinking $250 + growlers.

Back