Freakout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgillespie

Reaction score
Today I racked a scottish 60/ ale to the secondary fermenter from the primary (was sitting in primary for 13 days). The original gravity was 1.043, and i just took it again and it is 1.022 which seems pretty high to me. According to the kit recipe, it should have been about 1.040 OG and 1.012 FG.

Since the FG is so high, should I consider repitching the yeast?

That does seem a little high. Try the swirling it around and get the yeast back up and possibly warming it up to around 70 or so. Extract kits tend to finish high especially ones using Alexanders liquid in my experience. I dont think anymore yeast is going to help you on this one especially since the OG wasn't very high. Your yeast should be fine. Also consider that your OG was possibly higher than your reading. Was there an estimated OG for the kit? If so, I bet that it was what it said..

Temperature should be around 70 - 75 F since thats what I keep my temp in my house.

My OG was like 0.002 higher than the kit's estimated OG, but my FG was way higher

Temperature should be around 70 - 75 F since thats what I keep my temp in my house.

My OG was like 0.002 higher than the kit's estimated OG, but my FG was way higher

Remember that when it is 70 in your house, your beer will be closer to 75. Yeast make heat and you fermented far too warm. It is likely you stressed out your yeast and they just stopped working.

Back