Where to get cheap honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camneel83

Reaction score
I live in Denver and want to get into making mead but was wondering where you guys get your honey for a reasonable price. I'm sure this question has been posted previously but couldn't find anything so forgive me if this is a rrepeat post.

Thanks!

Miller's Honey out of California isn't that bad for prices (shipping is pricey, but their bulk honey prices are good).

I've used them several times.

Try Costco. Their sweat clover honey runs about $12 for 6 lbs. Probably not the best stuff for some meads but I think it's fine for melomels.

You can check your lcl farmers' markets, or your lcl yellow pages & of course google; or you could use this handy site: http://www.honeylocator.com/ it's a decent place to start anyway. There are a few online honey suppliers who have some great prices compared to what you'll find in the stores, but like AZIPA said, shipping is pricey. Check for lcl apiaries & bee keeping clubs, you might find a good source that way too. Regards, GF.

I found a local bee keeper and bought four quarts for $14.00 each. Made my first mead on 6-10-10 and it's bubbling away.
Ask friends and neighbors if they know anybody that has bees. There are also people who sit on the side of the road and sell it.

Thank you eeryone for you're input. I like the costco idea for the shorterm until I can find a good local honey.

I live in Denver too and when I'm in a pinch I buy Ambrosia honey from King Soopers (they have the best price $8 for 3 pounds). Really soon here Brew at Home off of Quincy and Broadway will have honey by the boat load. They are working on getting a local light, choke cherry, wildflower, and alfalfa.

Back