country malt group order in the charlotte/greensboro n.c. areas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about an hours drive from Raleigh. I would be in for one bag if it's going to Raleigh.

flat rate pallet shipping is $155 + 15% fuel surcharge to NC totaling ~$180
a pallet is up to 42 bags. shipping would come out to ~$4.30 a bag if we got 42.

Count me in for 1 bag of 2-row and 1 bag of crystal if this goes down.

55 pounds per sack unless it is US domestic, then it is 50 pounds per sack

It seems there is plenty of interest all over the state.

Anybody from the center of the state want to volunteer to head it up?

Let me know if anyone with a paypal account wants to head this up. I would be in for a bag of Best Malz pilsner and a bag of Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter.

If everyone can agree on a pick-up date and place (preferrably vic. Raleigh), I'd be willing to order. I'd have to have a firm comittment via pre-pay though.

If everyone can agree on a pick-up date and place (preferrably vic. Raleigh), I'd be willing to order. I'd have to have a firm comittment via pre-pay though.

my schedule is pretty flexible, i could probably drive to raleigh and pick up bags for the charlotte area if that would help people out.

I would be willing to commit to 2 bags and will gladly pre-pay. I live in Wake County so Raleigh area is no problem. I have fairly flexible schedule. Just let me know how to pre-pay and when and where to make the pick up.

Based on a quick scan of this thread, it looks like we have requests for about 18-19 bags so far. I think the magic number is 42 to minimize freight charge/bag. I will place an order if we can get 42. Please pm me or post here exactly how many bags and catalog number of what you want. If we can reach 42 bags, we'll set a pick-up date, place, time in Raleigh. I'll provide my paypal info and once I receive everyone's funds, I'll place the order. Sound ok?

I am in for 6 bags.

CM-SPIL x 2
CM-2ROW x 3
CM-PALE x 1

I will also send a PM...

Can pickup almost anytime in Raleigh.

Looks like we're gettin closer. It's kinda hard keeping a real tally both here and PM so if you could please just PM with catalog code and number of bags, I'll use that. So far I have Barc, Oceanelv, idahoDal, Foltser, and myself in for a total of 17 bags.

I think everyone agreed to meet in Raleigh for distribution. That's where I'm delivering it if we get enough interest for a pallet anyway:)

Are we sure that a palette is allowed to be a mix-n-match of different brands?

I'm almost positive you can do that but has anyone called to verify or talked to someone with prior, first-hand experience? There have been several group buys on HBT but I've not tracked any of them other than small scale ones.

I was a part of the Philly / so NJ group buy (round 2). reading through your thread I can answer your questions about ordering bulk grain.

1) mix and match bags...it doesn't matter. no. county malt just started offering hops by the pound as well, so I know that some of the guys in round 3 are buying hops as well.

2) you can order bags pre-crushed (that's what I did as I don't yet own a mill). it was an additional $2.20 / bag. these were somewhat easy to locate on the pallet as they had stitched the crushed bags back together with bright yellow thread.

3) I think you need an offload site with a loading dock. the pallet will come on a semi, and they will just pallet-jack it off the truck. I *think* you can pay extra and they will deliver on a truck with a lift gate, or will allow you to hand-offload (driver has to wait around while you do this, so they charge more). One of the NJ guys in our buy works for a trucking company, so delivery was a snap...it was delivered to one of their truck depots during the day...we came there that night and they fork-lifted the pallet into the parking lot where we divided up the goods.

Lordura organized the 3 Philly/ so NJ grain buys...you can PM him for more info. BTW, check out the round 3 Philly grain buy going on right now...Lordura's technique of updating the first post with everyone's order and who has confirmed/paid was REALLY helpful!

Good luck! and Happy Brewing!!!

3) I think you need an offload site with a loading dock. the pallet will come on a semi, and they will just pallet-jack it off the truck. I *think* you can pay extra and they will deliver on a truck with a lift gate, or will allow you to hand-offload (driver has to wait around while you do this, so they charge more). One of the NJ guys in our buy works for a trucking company, so delivery was a snap...it was delivered to one of their truck depots during the day...we came there that night and they fork-lifted the pallet into the parking lot where we divided up the goods.

Good luck! and Happy Brewing!!!

when i have things delivered like that i just use my atv ramps from the big rig to my truck and just slide the pallet down into the bed.

Back