Two beers, once mash, how to do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Ok, sorry if this has been answered already but I searched and couldn’t find it. I’ve heard from some brewers I’ve met that when they brew a big beer (ie: barleywine) that they do two batches. The first is their big beer then they resparge and get a second, low gravity beer. How exactly is this done?

After sparing for the first time, do you just let the grains sit there while you boil and cool, then do you sparge again? Do you remash somehow?

I’m getting ready to formulate a barleywine and would love to try this out.

EDIT: Sorry, title should read, "Two beers, one mash, how to do it?". Remember folks, always proof read.

the term you are looking for is partigyle style and is exactly like you explain.

you take the rich runnings from your first sparge for a high gravity beer and sparge again to get a smaller beer.

I just did this last weekend with a imperial porter and session porter in one mash.

I am also going to do something similar in a month where I mash enough wort to do 2 normal sized beers, one will be a 1.060 IPA and the other will be a 1.052 APA that will be diluted with some of the final runnings then boil separately with different hop schedules.

This is called Party Gyle brewing and very common even in big brewerys. The idea is to make a very large beer first with only the first runnings..so say a Barley Wine as you discuss Mash with enough grain to produce your high gravity wort 1.08..or whatever. Than Sparge or rinse those grains until your get enough sparge wort to produce a second lower gravity beer. The grain bill must be larger than normal for a barley wine since you are not rinsing the grains of sugars for the first but rather the second batch. A Barley wine and Pale Ale works well becasue the grain bills are close just smaller and you brew as normal with whatever hops you plan. You are not mashing again but rather sparging the sugars off the large grain bill..I would do two or 3 batch sparges until you reach you pre boil volume you desire. Some I have read have actually done this for three beers..have not even though about attempting this.

edit..too slow or said too much..lol

Jay

Thanks for the responses you two!

the term you are looking for is partigyle style and is exactly like you explain.
AH-HA! I knew there was some sort of key word that I was missing for an effective search!
edit..too slow or said too much..lol

Jay

It's so-k. You provided some extra info and that's always appreciated.

Just to avoid confusion:

For the first runnings, it's my understanding that the bill is generally NOT sparged (rinsed), only lautered (strained). Sparging, I think, usually starts with the second runnings. Am I mistaken?

If your MLT is large enough and can accomodate the full preboil volume, you can partigyle two full 5 gallon batches out of a single mash. You're really doing a 'no sparge' procedure with the first runnings.

My thread might be of some help to you. It's sort of a real time "idiot's guide" to constructing a partigyle recipe...You can see how I go from having no clue of how to figure out a recipe to figuring out how to "trick" beersmith into doing it for me. You can see all the help I got on the thread, and there's some links to other info that help you do it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/

I hope it helps. Like I said, I went from having no clue to actually doing one.:mug:

My thread might be of some help to you. It's sort of a real time "idiot's guide" to constructing a partigyle recipe...You can see how I go from having no clue of how to figure out a recipe to figuring out how to "trick" beersmith into doing it for me. You can see all the help I got on the thread, and there's some links to other info that help you do it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/

I hope it helps. Like I said, I went from having no clue to actually doing one.:mug:

Wow, Revvy, thanks! Loads of reading, should keep me busy for an hour. :mug:

YEAH..That's exactly what happened to me.

*Standing by for the lightbulb* :rockin:

Ok, I'm going to be leaving work here soon. When I get home I'll finish reading the rest of this. At that point I'll have some questions (well, already have them, but I want to make sure they haven't been touched on in your thread).

Plus I'll be able to relax with a homebrew while filling my brain with this new knowledge. :tank:

Ok, so everythings been read. I think I've got this figured out. The math on it isn't, but I think I've got it.

So, I'm going to do two seperate 5.5 gallon runnings. The first drain is going to be a Barleywine and the second will be a English Mild or something. Looking to use 22 pounds+ of grain. Should I:

A)I'll fly sparge the first beer out, boil, cool, then fly sparge the second batch out, boil cool clean, and be done.

B) See if I can fit enough water in the mash tun so I can just drain that all out for the Barleywine. Then fill it with enough water (at 170F), stir it in, and let sit for draining the second beer? I thought it wasn't a good idea to disturb the grain bed yet one of the links said to do this.

Check this site for some info on parti-gyle brewing. It also has a couple of very useful tables for nailing OG's for your two beers.

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html

IIRC pretty much every available resource on paryguiling is linked in my thread...Like I said, in real time on the thread, I was googling stuff, posting, having other people weigh in and running numbers in beersmith....

So guitargod, you have know way to brew both of them concurrently? Like on two turkey fryers with some help?

What I did was drain off the first runnings and filled my tun a second time (I batch sparge) then started the boil on the first one, which took 20-30 minutes to get up to speed....Then I handed off to my buddy brewing the first batch while I drained the tun the second time....

IF that's not an option, I would fill my tun the second time, seal it up and concentrate on the first beer...Then when you are done with beer one, drain out and brew beer two.

The only person I could barrow another boil kettle and burner from is this guy. Don't even want to go there.

Oy vey.... :fro:

Yeah then just keep the second runnings in your mash tun while you boil your first beer. It will also help you keep your hopping and everything else straight. Since i was hopping and spicing two beers at the same time, it got a little confusing. What I ended up doing was pre measuring everything and laying them out for each brew on their own piece of printer paper labeled "Beer 1" and "Beer 2" Like a mise en place in a kitchen.

Even if you are going to be brewing one anfter another, it's a good idea to pre measure out the hops and lay out the moss and anything else for EACH beer ahead of time, whily you are still fresh.

You may be pretty tired or drunk by the second batch. :D

Oy vey.... :fro:

Yeah then just keep the second runnings in your mash tun while you boil your first beer. It will also help you keep your hopping and everything else straight. Since i was hopping and spicing two beers at the same time, it got a little confusing. What I ended up doing was pre measuring everything and laying them out for each brew on their own piece of printer paper labeled "Beer 1" and "Beer 2" Like a mise en place in a kitchen.

Even if you are going to be brewing one anfter another, it's a good idea to pre measure out the hops and lay out the moss and anything else for EACH beer ahead of time, whily you are still fresh.

You may be pretty tired or drunk by the second batch. :D
Ya, it's going to be a fun day brewing and alot of hard work. I'll start extra early. Lets see...If I start at 9, the first beer should be done by 1:30 or 2. Then the second beer should be done by 4:30 or 5. Wow, an 8 hour brew day....in the cold of the winter non the less. Oh well, this is why I love brewing, it's an adventure! :mug:

Thanks for everyone's help on this, especially Revvy.

Back