Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat.sam

Reaction score
How do I get more clarity from my extract-steeped beers? I have been really happy with the taste of most of my recipes but I would like them to present a little clearer. I use Irish Moss and follow the 1-2-3 rule.

I am wondering if letting them sit in the fridge for a week before consuming would help. Any thoughts?

question for you

are your beers clear at room temp? and does chilling them bring out a haze?

I guess I don't know. I chill my bottled beers before drinking.

However when bottling I believe the beer was clearer.

then what you may have is commonly refered to as Chill Haze. It can be tough to overcome it sometimes.

Do a seach on chill haze, since there are alot of posts on the subject.

Thanks for the diagnosis. Chill haze is my problem, but how to correct?

I read that not cooling the wort fast enough can cause this. I get my to 70 degrees within 15 min. I don't think this is the problem.

I understand that starches (barley formed maltose) need to be fully metabolized by the yeast to get maximal clarity, but how do you get more efficiency out of my yeast. I get at least 75% effeciency from my yeast. Except for my last batch all the others took at least a day before yeast began to blast off.

My Thursday beer I aerated it until there was a three inch head. I will see if this helps with my problem.

How do brewhouses get their beer so clear? Is it their yeast effiency?

fat.sam said:
Thanks for the diagnosis. Chill haze is my problem, but how to correct?

I read that not cooling the wort fast enough can cause this. I get my to 70 degrees within 15 min. I don't think this is the problem.

I understand that starches (barley formed maltose) need to be fully metabolized by the yeast to get maximal clarity, but how do you get more efficiency out of my yeast. I get at least 75% effeciency from my yeast. Except for my last batch all the others took at least a day before yeast began to blast off.

My Thursday beer I aerated it until there was a three inch head. I will see if this helps with my problem.

How do brewhouses get their beer so clear? Is it their yeast effiency?
Many breweries filter their beer before bottling/kegging. You can do this at home, but if so you'l either need to keg or re-pitch yeast as filtering usually filters out not only suspended solids but yeast as well.

I just read that chilling the wort to below 50 F will take care of cold break, which should prevent chill haze.

Has anyone tried the extended chill (50 F) and have any luck?

Back