Beefing up a Brewer's Best kit (American Light)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbajista

Reaction score
I found a guy selling an unopened Brewer's Best American Light kit for really cheap, about half off the full price.

I figure that for the price (around $20) it's a great deal, especially considering the prices at my LHBS.

Here's the deal: I have no inclination to brew a "Lite" beer. I can't seem to find anywhere online that has the published kit contents, so I can't even post what's included. I was wondering if anyone here knew what was included, and had any suggestions as to what I could add/subtract to make something of higher gravity and flavor.

FWIW, he also is selling a Dry Irish Stout kit by True Brew. Anyone modified this kit?

American light kit would probably have about 5 pounds of light or extra light malt. 1 pound of rice solids. Probably only an ounce of hops and a packet of Nottingham yeast would be my guess.

You probably get caps and priming sugar also.

As far as what you could do with this ...... just about anything since light malt is the base for almost anything.

Add a little more light malt to bump up the gravity. Throw in some crystal malt (less than a pound) if desired for some added color. Add a couple more ounces of hops late in the boil and you'd have yourself an IPA.

Not sure what you were looking to do with this?

I'm not sure either, just looking for suggestions. I wish I could find a list of kit contents online! Does anyone have a list of what's included?

Also, I'm looking for what's included in the True Brew Irish Stout kit as well.

I made one of the American Light kits awhile back. I can't remeber how much LME was in there but there was 1lb of rice solids, 1.5oz of hops maybe.

OG was 1.044 FG 1.014

Had a good amount of flavor to it. A lot more than bmc lite

I made one of the American Light kits awhile back. I can't remeber how much LME was in there but there was 1lb of rice solids, 1.5oz of hops maybe.

OG was 1.044 FG 1.014

Had a good amount of flavor to it. A lot more than bmc lite

Would you suggest leaving it unchanged? came out about 3.93%?

I thought about it more, and I think I'd really overall like to boost the hop rate, gravity, and lesser so the ETOH content (5-6%). Would simply buying and adding more of the same type of hops and extract accomplish this?

Also, rice solids only serve to boost alcohol and lighten body, right? So if I removed the rice solids and replaced with malt extract, I would boost alcohol without lightening the body?

How much malt extract would it take to replace 1 lbs. of rice solids?

Back