wee heavy fermentation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrannyRock

Reaction score
So, I brewed a wee heavy more than 3 weeks ago. It started at 1.085, I did a partial mash. I pitched a 2.5L (or so) starter of WLP028 - Edinburgh Ale. The beer started off really quickly (3 or 4 hours). I checked the gravity after 5 days: 1.040. A week later, still 1.040. Now, 22 days later - still 1.040. Over this time period I've sloshed around the bucket to try to resuspend the yeast a few times, and I've heated it up some - it spent over a day at around 75F by mistake.

I have some Nottingham and some Montrachet lying around - should I add either of these? The samples actually taste pretty good (though sweet) and today it was quite clear.

Thoughts?

I don't have any temp control right now. Someone's giving me an old minifridge, which I plan to install in a big (about 4'H, 2'W, 4'L) box of sheathing. I have a thermostat en route.

The beer started at 65F and didn't get above 70 (but stayed w/in that range) for about a week. Then I set it in front of the heater for a few days and it eventually got up to about 75F. Since then it's been about 70F.

I don't have my computer with Brewsmith with me, but based on my order form the recipe was:

5 gallon batch:

3lbs Maris Otter
1lb Crystal 40
8oz Carapils
8oz Choc Rye
4oz Peated

4oz Treacle
7lb Extra light DME

1oz Nugget, 60 min
1oz Challenger, 15 min

1 tab whirlfloc
1 tab yeast nutrient

I realize this recipe is kind of goofy. I already have some changes in mind - however right now I'm pretty into the way the samples are tasting. Almost like a sweet scotch that doesn't burn when you swallow it.

I'm not sure why it stopped at 1.040, but after 22 days it's probably not going to get any lower on it's own.

Pitching the Nottingham should finish it unless there are a lot of unfermentable sugars.

I would avoid using Montrachet since it's a wine yeast.

Any idea what the reason could be for the stopped fermentation? What do you think the effect of the Nottingham on the taste will be?

I believe it's done, Do you have another hydrometer to test it with?, what was the FG supposed to be according to the recipe?

Back