You know you are a new parent homebrewer when.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
- You look at baby bottle nipples as emergency, CO2 venting, carboy caps.

- You pick up a disposable bottle liner and realize;
a.) That'd make an excellent pellet hop leftovers storage bag.
b.) Your FoodSaver can seal them.(RMV)

- You realize the nipple brushes are great for getting that black crud out of those old faucets and for cleaning the gas tube in cornies.

- Cleaned Gerber Seconds bins make great "little bits" storage containers (Irish Moss, Campden Tabs, etc...)

- You wonder if breast milk can be a substitute for Lactose in a Milk Stout. And try it.

- Gerber Firsts flaked Rice, Oatmeal, etc cereal would actually work great in your next recipe. If the HBS is closed.

- You struggle to remember which bin has the Light DME and which bin has the Enfamil. Taste both and still can't decide.

Cheers and enjoy.

Oh my god, brilliant! I just may do that while I wait for my carboy bung and airlock to get here. (Not a parent but I may buy one just for that purpose)

I only found one or two that actually fit, and I'll pre-warn you sometime it'll give new meaning to the word "Beer Farts". It can be hilarious.

I only found one or two that actually fit, and I'll pre-warn you sometime it'll give new meaning to the word "Beer Farts". It can be hilarious.

That's awesome.

I've used balloons as a stop-gap/emergency fix sometime, but they are unreliable and dry out. Perfect alternative!

- You struggle between a shiney new brew rig or a college fund. Rationalize that the rig will be paid for before the child goes to college and realize that you won't be brewing until then either.

- You "borrow" several of those plastic syriges from the hospital supplies bin because you notice that they have perfect metric gradients for lactic acid water treatments.

- You sanitize baby bottle with StarSan but pressure cook sterilize starter wort.

You guys are killing me!

My wife is due in May and I've been brewing my butt off to develop a decent stockpile.

So are my future brewing days really that limited due to the baby?

You guys are killing me!

My wife is due in May and I've been brewing my butt off to develop a decent stockpile.

Depends largely on the baby and the mother. babies sleep a lot at first and usually only need fed every 2 to 3 hours. Plan your mash-in, your sparge and your boils right and everyone is fed and happy.

Just don't forget which towel you used to clean the baby and which towel you used to clean the mash paddle.

Plus, brewing at night in the garage during summertime can be very humbling.

You don't need to be a parent to see the value of a nipple brush. I had to replace mine and I got a combination brush. The big end is good for hydrometer tubes.

And, not the least, as a new parent, you'll be able to recognize that autolysed yeast smell.

... when your two-year-old tells his mom that her perfume smells like hops! (He didn't say which variety, but hey, he was two.)

You guys are killing me!

Nah, the first one was easy. Ah, for the days when my wife and & I outnumbered our children...

Now we've got a 3-year-old and a 2-month-old and it's a killer because you never get time alone. I'm an introverted, antisocial bastard and I covet my alone time. That's probably part of why I love bottling. Mindlessly repetitive tasks, in solitude, with some music, after a hard day's work? Sign me up! Brewing, bottling, etc with a toddler around just adds to the stress rather than relieving it.

They just require constant attention (like, even more than watching for boilovers), so as long you have two adults to one kid on brewday, you'll be fine. Me, I need to get at least two people to ride herd or else it's more trouble than it's worth. At least until they're older, I guess.

You guys are killing me!

When they're really young, not so much. Babies are kind of like turtles. Set 'em down on their backs, and they don't move around much. Once they get mobile, it's a lot tougher. Then you have to chase the little bastids down to get the mash paddle back from them.

We had our daughter while I was in a brewing hiatus. I have more time to brew now that she's six and likes to help crush grain at the HBS. Don't worry. Birth to six felt like it only took about two weeks. You'll see.

And congratulations on the forthcoming addition. All joking aside, being a dad is the coolest, scariest, funniest, best thing I ever did.

Thanks for the responses - I'm a little less worrried now...and I do love a milk stout :mug:
I'll have to see what SWMBO thinks of the organic route...

Keep those bins the wipies come in. They're great for organizing stoppers, airlocks, keg lube and keg parts...darn near anything that'll fit in 'em (which is a lot in homebrew terms). :)

And congratulations on the forthcoming addition. All joking aside, being a dad is the coolest, scariest, funniest, best thing I ever did.

And, as cool as that is (and I agree with you, it's all those things!) wait until you're a grand-dad. Got 5 of the grands now and really loving it!

- You wonder if breast milk can be a substitute for Lactose in a Milk Stout. And try it.

This is one of those social experiments where you slip something crazy into a seemingly innocuous list of things, right?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha if you're serious about that I'm going to be laughing for at least six minutes straight!

This thread is awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one who starting thinking about the things that could be used for both.

Thanks for the responses - I'm a little less worrried now...and I do love a milk stout :mug:
I'll have to see what SWMBO thinks of the organic route...

I have been trying to get SWMBO involved in brewing, this might be the chance I have been waiting for. I'll call it Mother's Milk Stout.

How about...

- You've convinced yourself that with a little more planning, you can go from grain to pitched wort before the baby wakes up from their nap, no matter how many times you fail.

- You have to constantly check...that the baby isn't eating old mail...while you're trying...to post a response on HBT.

One year olds rock! I love my baby girl.

Then fast forward 2 years...

Yesterday my two year old (Soon to be 3) looked in our cooler and said last night at a friends house, "Daddy, you need some bers"...

This is either a sign of a serious problem, or a very proud moment. I'm not sure which.

Back