Want to try a PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Hatter

Reaction score
I would like for my next brew to try to do a PM. I would also like to try the Haus Pale Ale for the recipe. I do not really know what I need for gear to do this. I have a very large cooler on wheels that I could use for the MLT. I also have a keg that I need to finish for a keggle. What do I really need to do to be able to brew a PM? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

i just did my first PM last night, the only extra equipment i have is the two-5 gallon food grade buckets with lots of holes in one to use for the lauter-tun. Granted, i didn't really know what i was doing. I've got a 20qt for the mashing/boiling and a 12qt for the sparge water. Looks, smells and tastes good and is bubbling like a mo'fo after 10 hours.

But you should probably wait for someone with more experience to guide you in the right direction. I'll be watching this thread too, as i think i'm done with extract brewing.

After I decided to switch from Extract to PM, the only "new" item I needed was a MLT. Search the forum if you're handy and want to build one for cheap.

If I may add my $.02 though... If you are thinking about going PM, I would really make sure you understand how to tweak an extract recipe so you get the best possible brew's before you try PM. The reason I say this is because I still got the dreaded extract "twang" in my PM I just did, which to say the least was very discouraging... after searching the forums, I realized there were a lot of things I could have done different to prevent the twang in the first place.

Bullet points:
1. Full wort boils
2. Late extract method
3. DME, not LME

Most important... read read read until you really understand the process. If you understand the process, you know what equipment you need.

Good luck

If you just want to try a PM for now before investing, you can mash in anything that will hold temp or can be heated. That's anything insulated like a cooler or a pot with a lid.

Now, to lauter (separate the wort from the grain) you'll need to dump the mash into a colander/sieve (a mesh kitchen strainer) as it sits over an ale pail. Dump the grain back into your mash container and add some hot sparge water, stir and dump it into the strainer again. Done.

I am getting ready to do a PM on Friday for the first time. The only additional equipment that I got was a 2 gallon water cooler and large Nylon grain bag. I read about this on BYO's website, but I do not remember the link. Anyway, the 2 gallon cooler will allow you to mash 4 lbs of grain. If you put the grain in the large Nylon bag, then you will not need to modify the cooler.

Thanks for the ideas guys. It sounds like I will need to use a second brew kettel though. I have just the one. I am drinking the first brew that I made now, It is a pre hopped coopers kit. It is OK, a bit more bitter than what I care for but OK non the less. Dad really likes it though. I have three more batches in becides the coopers kit. One is a LME malt extract that I hopped myself and the other two I used steeping grains.

From what it sounds like this small cooler method is really nothing more than a larger version of a steeped brew. I think I will give it a shot for my next brew and see how it turns out. I like the cooler method because I dont have to tear out the spigot in there so I can still use it for camping. Plus this will get me buy until I get my AG system built.

You absolutely do not need a second kettle. You can hold the wort in any container while you're doing your sparging and then transfer it all into the kettle you were intially using to mash in or to heat sparge water in. Read the all grain primer in my sig, towards the bottom. You'd just be doing a smaller amount of grain and a smaller boil, etc..

Very useful description of all grain Bobby! I like the method of putting the water in the mash tun first, then when it reaches the temp you want it at, dumping your grains into it... makes it easier to control for temp loss into the insulation.

Back