Hard cider color change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl2222

Reaction score
To start this is my first cider so go easy on me. :mug: I was wondering if this drastic color change is normal represented in the pictures below?

Recipe: 5 gallons of 3apple fresh pressed treetop, 2lb of dark brown sugar, and liquid champagne yeast.

Procedure: Boiled half a gallon of apple juice with dark brown sugar until completely dissolved then let cool. Added other 4.5 gallons into carboy added dissolved dark brown sugar in remaining juice then pitched yeast.

The image below represents the first and second day of fermentation. The next photo represent day three of fermentation.

Additional info: Temperatures started at 62F to 63F and now are 64F to 65F as of day three. Also my air lock is bubbling non stop which I believe is good.

1546399_10153687714890276_95806222_n.jpg

IMG_20140127_194301.jpg

It's day three? If so, it's fine.

If it's later, say, day 10, it needs to be moved to a smaller carboy with less headspace and topped up.

Once fermentation stops, you don't want any headspace in the fermenter but in primary, when fermentation is active, it's fine.

I guess two and a half days. Brew day was mid Saturday. Unfortunately don't have a smaller carboy. Whats the reasoning behind not wanting extra space in the carboy after its done fermenting?

Thanks man I'll have to check that out. Luckily I won't be keeping in in the car boy for longer than 2 weeks so I'm not too worried about oxidation but good to know for future.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Cool to read this as I am making this today...my recipe calls for 5 gallons of apple juice...3lbs of corn sugar...and one pound of brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks. I will be back sweeting later with 4 cans of frozen concentrate and another pound of brown sugar on bottling day. Let sit until carbonization levels are good...the pasturizing...

Back