Gelatin Finings vs. pectin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am doing a peach ale and am going to puree and pasteurize the frozen peaches before throwing into the secondary. I have heard not to pasteurize because it could cause pectin haze. I have also heard if you keep it at a 160F you will be fine. Either way, does the gelatin finings work on pectin haze if I were to add that before kegging? Thanks

I make and know of others that make peach wine. I have NEVER seen it crystal clear so I would agree with the pectin haze. What will get rid of it? I have no idea...lol. IMHO the tiny amount of chill/pectin haze is not going to make the end product better or worse.

You can use pectinase, or "pectic enzyme," carried by most brew shops. Used it in a raspberry beer. Works great!
I saw that you need to use or add it before fermenting, I already pasturized and racked beer over pureed peaches. Can you use it after or maybe rack into a third vessel or use it right before kegging like the gelatin finings or is it something you need to use sooner? Thanks

I've used it post-fermentation. Added to secondary after the raspberries were done fermenting. Went from cloudy to crystal clear in a day.

Sounds good. I think what I will do then is rack to a third vessel after 1 week of secondary. Take taste test and use the PE and see what happens. Once I keg I will still use the gelatin finings since the yeast I used did not drop as much as I am used to. I used European Ale Yeast, said it was a good strand for fruit beers, this is the first fruit beer I have made so I figured what the heck let's go for it. I have ready other people talking about adding acid or something when they bottle for taste? What is that all about, or maybe it was for meads? Thanks again.

I've used it post-fermentation. Added to secondary after the raspberries were done fermenting. Went from cloudy to crystal clear in a day.

How much did you use for 5-6 gallons? It states to use 1/10 tsp per lbs. of fruit. I have 7lbs. of fruit, so what is 7/10 or .7 of tsp?

I didn't really measure it. Mine said something about n drops per gallon, but I just squirted it in until I was sure I had a good deal more than the proscribed amount. It's an enzyme, so more=faster.

Back