Label making software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually use a mixture of Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop. I've seen a lot of people use Inkscape, I think it's free.

I've used Gimp to design a few labels. It takes a little bit of effort to learn how to use it, but once you do it's pretty easy. If you have any questions about it feel free to PM me or there are a number of tutorials on the net to walk you through most anything you'd need to know how to do.

Inkscape was my main design platform but it can't make a square image into a round one (not unsurprising) So I have to use Gimp to cut out the part I want and drop the round cutout onto a transparent background. which Inkscape can then use as I want.

They do but it tends to be a real pain in the ass to get clean if you plan to reuse the bottles. They also have precut ones in various sizes. A visit to staples would let you see all thats available.

For those of you who use inkscape, what format do you save it with to actually print the labels the size you want?

I created my label but I don't know what to save it as to print them

SVG and just have Inkscape print them. You'll have to size the label right and get it to the right spot on the paper, and accept the fact no printout will be perfectly centered even from a label printing software package.. Avery's designpro couldn't do it, not its fault. its the limitation of home printers. This is why I changed away from actual labels and now use basic paper. I foolishly.. very much so.. tried CLEAR labels. Why I didn't consider the fact a clear label on a dark background is just destined for failure I do not know..

A simple paper sheet printout and a paper slicer works well.

Photoshop for images non vector based objects like text etc.
Illustrator for the vector based object, text and graphics.

Then make an A4 put 6 labels on there and make a pdf. Send if to the printing office and ask for paper with glue on the back.

Inkscape is doing weird things on my printouts.. again. Apparently I didn't have it solved like I thought.. misalignment and ghost shades around objects.

I get crazy ghost shades too?? Especially black.

I use Milk to adhere my labels....works like a charm and is water soluable. As long as you dont place them in a cooler of ice water the don't fall off.

Back