simple temp controlled mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
i would like to make a simple temp controlled mash tun, either from a cooler or a keg. Is there any ways i can do this without costing a fortune, and still get good control of my temps?

im currently using a coleman 48qt cooler, and it not very good at maintaing my mash temps.

What kind of mashtun do you have now? Do you have a pump? Do you use gas or electric? What level of automation do you want? Just holding temperature is pretty easy with a cooler once you get it where you want.

What kind of mashtun do you have now? Do you have a pump? Do you use gas or electric? What level of automation do you want? Just holding temperature is pretty easy with a cooler once you get it where you want.

I agree, also it's hard to heat mash with a submerged heater without scorching the grain that's touching the heater. At a minimum you need some sort of circulation. In my opinion the best solution is to use a GOTT cooler and build a RIMS tube - that's what I did.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/just-finished-my-rims-tube-353184/#post4399745

Back