Fermentation ...under pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinGoBuff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm asking for anyone to share their thoughts/advice for a closed fermentation experiment I've had on my mind.

I have a summer home on a lake - a lake with a fairly stable temperature range - and I want to brew a true bottom-fermenting brew fermented ...at the bottom of the lake. The trick is that I'll have to seal the fermenting vessel (a sanke keg) to prevent lake water from contaminating the brew. UNLESS anyone can suggest a simple method for allowing fermentation gasses to escape but still keeping lake water out.

The style is yet to be determined, but I know other brewers on the lake and hope to have each of us contribute 5gal to the experiment before sinking the keg for a few weeks.

I hope this inspires some fun ideas!

My first thought when I read this was that you might want to think about adding a buffer to the wort - all that CO2 remaining in the headspace and in the wort might lower the pH more than your yeast can tolerate.

Latest posts

Back