Is DME the Stickiest Substance Known to Man?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
New evidence from a mishap while making a starter that resulted in several ounces of the substance being flung across my kitchen has proven conclusive: Yes. Yes it is.

Perhaps only surpassed by Gorilla glue. In the spririt of being constructive, I'll add that oxyclean or barkeeper's friend work great for cleaning all varieties of spilled/dried/burned malt.

I disagree. LME is the stickiest substance known to man! :)

True enough that LME can make a relatively small, relatively well contained area extremely sticky but dme can be easily spread into every nook and cranny over an entire room, not to mention making the air itself sticky, in effect, cloaking your entire body in stickiness.

Considering its barley malt sugar-yep. Wort on your floor is not fun.

malevolent said:
HA! Yeah LME can create quite the mess.

BTW I assume you went to USF? We gave you guys a whooping a few nights ago. (Syracuse grad)

I wouldn't say it was a whooping, we kept it close. Looking forward to the BE tourney this year, USF has their best chances ever.

Nah, LME is def way stickier. If you get that on something you will be getting it everywhere and making a sticky mess to go with. DME is a close second but LME tops it in my book.
Bob

Unless you were brewing naked sweating and doing jumpin jacks with a fan blowing and dumping dme at the same time then i think dme would top out lme.:rolleyes:

No, I was making a starter and, after having weighed out 6oz, tripped in the course of the 3-4 steps to my flask. The dme was sent flying and settled on nearly every suface in my kitchen as well as on my person. I was fully clothed but it still made my clothes and any exposed skin VERY sticky.

I remember when I was stilling brewing extract and bought my first 50 lb bag of DME. I split it up into 2 and 3 lb portions in the kitchen. Big mistake. The whole room got covered in sticky DME dust and I woke up the next day to an ant invasion.

Back