Anyone ever pitch at 100 F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was at our Big Brew event this past Saturday when my assistant pitched at 100 F since the water line to the wort chiller blew a leak and he didn't know what to do. I had gone on a pizza run and before I got back, he had panicked and pitched 2 packs of rehydrated S-05 since he was worried that the yeast would start to die after 30 minutes so he pitched into 100 F wort and placed the carboy in a cold closet (65 F, so not that cold really). The yeast took off fast but I imagine with that kind of thermal mass, it wouldn't really be reaching 65 F for quite some time. This ever happen to anyone and if so, what was the outcome?

I had already done 10 gallons of the East India Pale Ale so I'm not that worried but it's definitely something I haven't run into yet.

Not my proudest of brewing moments, but I've probably pitched at that temp without problems... without going into a whole diatribe of thermodynamics and yeast resiliency, the yeast is most likely fine. Not that you'd want to ferment at that temp for long, but if the yeast survives and takes off once it's cooler, what's the difference?

Really beginning to see the importance of: RDWHAHB

Depends on how quickly you got it cooled. I pitched Us 05 at 80 and it didn't get down to 68* for 3 days. Needless to say it's been 3 months and the beer is still undrinkable.

I accidentally did something very similar once. The beer is drinkable but certainly nothing to brag about. It is ever so slightly rubbery with some fruitiness that does not belong there. Most BMC friends think it is just fine...

Hmm, you know its kind of odd that they suggest to rehydrate in 100 degree water...so then why would 100 degree wort be any different? AS LONG AS you got it down to pitching temp within an hour, it doesn't seem like it would make a difference. Could pitching in 100 degree wort, then throwing the carboy in an ice bath, possibly save the hassle of rehydrating? :drunk:

They yeast will love 100F wort. unfortunately they will make a TON of bad flavors while having their orgy...

When you rehydrate you are looking to fill the yeast cells with water. If you rehydrate with wort, the theory is that they can pass stuff into their cells which damage or kill a number of them. Instructions often say to simply pitch on the wort, but the same yeast, packaged to professionals, give instructions to rehydrate in water. I think they believe that the average person is going to want the most simple process, at a loss of a certain number of cells.

Rehydrating yeast with water is no problem because they aren't metabolizing the water, they are just filling their cells with it. The problem is when the majority of your fermentation is done at that temp, which will produce some bad flavors for sure. Unless you are brewing a Saison, in which case a lot of people recommend temps over 90F to really get that funkiness.

I brewed a Centennial Blonde once and it fermented for 2 days at around 90. I threw it out after a couple of months of waiting for it to be drinkable.

You will need to be aggressive to get the temps down on this one. If you let it drop naturally, it will very likely be about finished fermenting before it gets close to the right temp.

Yeah I hear what you are saying, which was the reason for my post in the first place. The carboy is at the brewery and is now a solid 60 hours into the fermentation. It wasn't cooled, it was merely placed in the cold closet where they let us leave our stuff. I'm afraid it was probably lost when the cooling hose broke. No worries, it was essentially a free batch. I'll remake it at home without an assistant and it will come out much better.

Well let's just say he is a bit of a noob. He read somehwere that after 30 minutes of being rehydrated, the yeast starts to die so he freaked out and decided to pitch.

No big loss on my end. I was gonna give him half the batch anyway. He can have to whole thing if it tastes like ass.

All I know about this is excessive fusel alcohols will most likely result due to the high temperature. Back when I started brewing I was impatient and pitched my yeast at 80 degrees plus, this resulted in very harsh alcoholic after taste in my beer. My advise is to bottle or keg and keep in a fridge for a couple of months and the flavor may mellow out.

I'm not sure where that information is coming from, but I recall at least one other newbie recently on this board who freaked out after rehydrating the yeast and the chilling wasn't done so they did the same thing.

The packets generally do say to limit the time spent in water after fully rehydrating. I suppose they will start to die off, but the rate of death is never anything that I've seen quantified. In a situation like this, you always have to evaluate what will do the least damage, and I'd imagine that some way to cool the wort could have been found. If nothing else, dump some wort into the rehydrated yeast to keep them busy for a time, and cool the rest of the wort in the meantime. Or, have an extra packet around, at all times, for "emergencies" just like this.

Why did you go for pizza at such a crucial time? They have guys that will bring the pizza to you.

Seriously, I think you're screwed. That hot for that long at that stage of fermentation, you'll end up with a Belgian meets Chloraseptic tasting beer.

I've done it a bunch. works best when you're brewing a saison. If I pitch hot I always put a cold, damp shirt over my fermentor. the evaporation of the water will draw off some heat and get the temps down.

some yeasts like it hot though. I pitched WLP009 in a brown ale the other day when it was still pretty warm. still in primary, but that strain is supposed to be able to work at hotter temps without producing off flavors

Why did you go for pizza at such a crucial time? They have guys that will bring the pizza to you.

Seriously, I think you're screwed. That hot for that long at that stage of fermentation, you'll end up with a Belgian meets Chloraseptic tasting beer.

It was the second batch of the day so less critical than you imply. I got my primary focus done so it wasn't a big deal IMO.

It was more for my buddy who was assisting.

His punishment shall be to drink his mistake. No other brewing until complete. That way he'll think about what he did and those he hurt with his actions.

Latest posts

Back