new brew on yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonster

Reaction score
hey all,

If I were to put another beer on the yeast cake of the previous beer, are there any considerations I should think about? Like flavor from old hops. Should the beer be the same beer or a bigger darker one?

THanks in advance. By the way i have been a long time lurker and what a great site!!!

Happy Brewing,:mug::mug:

Mike

I put a much smaller lighter beer on a bigger darker (and spiced) beer cake. No problems.

I've never done it before but am going to with trub from my fermenting pumpkin ale. This trub is going to have pumpkin, spices, hops. I'm going to use a portion of the trub for a chocolate peanut butter banana porter I'm putting together. Will be interesting to see if the pumpkin or allspice comes through. I've read that it only takes a small portion of the trub to get the job done.

I debated using the cake from my currently fermenting stout for my next ale, but instead I think I'm just going to wash the yeast from the primary while the stout is in secondary. It seems safer than just repitching on to the cake.

I just did an APA on top of a stout yeast cake, Just to see the difference it made. In a side by side comparison with the same beer on fresh yeast it is only slightly darker and tastes the same. I believe that all your hops and spices will fall to the bottom of your primary first then be covered up by yeast as the die and settle out of suspension. Every time I do it I make sure not to stir up the Trub.

Back