Control temps with more than one in a freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonnieDobbs

Reaction score
So I finally have space for a freezer/fridge to control my fermentation temperatures, yay!

I understand that a chest freezer will accommodate more than one carboy/bucket. But if the goal is to control fermentation temperatures, isn't it very likely I'll have one bucket that's fermenting strong (hot) while the other bucket is almost done fermenting (cooler). This would cause one bucket to be either too hot or cold, depending on where I put the thermocouple.

Obviously quite a few people put more than one bucket in their fridges. So I'm wondering if there is a way to correct for this problem or if anyone even notices this? Thanks!

Assuming the "hot" batch was chilled properly prior to pitching, I don't think you will have issues w/ varied batch temperatures w/ 5 gal. batches. As the batch size increases, cooling during fermentation becomes more challenging. Think 25 gal. connical?? w/ glycol syatem??

Most likely it will be one bucket fermenting too cold, as the hot bucket will be causing the freezer to kick in to lower the temp. I do two buckets at a time, but that's because it is a 10 gallon batch.

Latest posts

Back