Brewing in Toledo, Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn. I missed this thread. Been brewing for a few years now. I too love and support Tiggy's.

Fiziks said:
We're going to be opening as strictly a bar without food. We'll add a kitchen as soon as we possibly can, and the addition of a kitchen in our plan adds about $35k to the startup costs. I'd rather save that money for working capital right now and allow patrons to bring outside food in.

I'll keep posting here and on fb to keep everyone updated.

Thanks!

So when is this place opening? Will you be offering tours?

Right now I'm building out equipment and waiting around for some new ohio legislation to become effective.

We are looking at a tentative opening of April 2014.

We also are scouting other locations that are outside of downtown at the moment.

Most of the equipment is ordered, minus a few fermenters, but things are progressing and going well.

Right now I'm building out equipment and waiting around for some new ohio legislation to become effective.

We also are scouting other locations that are outside of downtown at the moment.

Most of the equipment is ordered, minus a few fermenters, but things are progressing and going well.

I'm originally from Toledo and pass through there from time to time. I would definitely stop by after you're open. Good luck!

Does anyone else refer to to Toledo as the dollar beer capital of the US? I have a tough time finding good beer and food at the same restaurant.

Does anyone else refer to to Toledo as the dollar beer capital of the US? I have a tough time finding good beer and food at the same restaurant.

Check out the Attic on Adams street near downtown toledo. There is a restaurant in the basement that serves food to the bar upstairs and it's pretty good.

Check out the Attic on Adams street near downtown toledo. There is a restaurant in the basement that serves food to the bar upstairs and it's pretty good.

Blarney and Cock & Bull are both good food and drink places, and that's coming from someone who doesn't go to bars generally.

On another note, my company just moved to Maumee from downtown Toledo. So hopefully Fiziks will be somewhere nearby so I can frequent his place!

I Don't think you're trying very hard, friend. I have my fair share of gripes about Toledo, but finding good beer at good restaurants is not one of them. Most of the places I frequent, are not in Toledo proper, but consider to be in the Toledo area. Here's my list of places where you can go to get great food and awesome craft beer.

Swig---Perrysburg
Fifth street pub---Perrysburg
Stella's---Perrysburg

Barr's public house--maumee

Pizzapapalis---Toledo---they pour a few
Home slice pizza---always have a couple of unique brews on tap
Attic on Adams---lots of great craft beer; no idea about their food.

If you just want to buy craft beer, here's where you go:

The Anderson's
Marines in Sylvania
Churchills
The beer and wine cave---they also have beer on tap and growlers.

Most of the liquor stores are also figuring out te mix-and-match concept

You guys have an andersons up there don't you? Does it not have a good beer and wine selection like the ones in columbus?

Sure we do. Anderson's is based in Maumee. I now work less than 5 minutes from the main store. Yes they stock an ass load of craft brews. I just wish they would carry ingredients! They have Beer Machines around Fathers Day and Christmas and they carry Mr Beer stuff year round but that's about it. They have a very narrow selection of MB kits too. Maybe 4 or 5 SKUs.

IF i were living up there i would probably just run to Adventures of hombrewing or hombrewing adventures, I always flip it, in Ann Arbor. I hate leaving my money in that particular location, but i though all the trash out my window to offset it (Go Bucks!). That shop is as close to Northern Brewer as you can get with out driving to Milwaukee. I stop there once in a blue moon, it's on the way to our other office which i have to travel to occasionally.

The anderson's just came to mind because i know i have been there and they have good selection. I don't go to the one here in columbus much.

Back in the early 90's, before I moved away, Andersons in Maumee was the place to go for domestic craft beer and good imports. They always had bottles of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

Sure we do. Anderson's is based in Maumee. I now work less than 5 minutes from the main store. Yes they stock an ass load of craft brews. I just wish they would carry ingredients! They have Beer Machines around Fathers Day and Christmas and they carry Mr Beer stuff year round but that's about it. They have a very narrow selection of MB kits too. Maybe 4 or 5 SKUs.

Where at in Maumee do you work? My 9-5 is in Arrowhead Park so I can't be too far away! I've looked at a few locations out here, but nothing is jumping out at me.

Where at in Maumee do you work? My 9-5 is in Arrowhead Park so I can't be too far away! I've looked at a few locations out here, but nothing is jumping out at me.

I work in Maumee (office in Arrowhead Park). Barr's Public House always has interesting stuff on tap. Last i was in there, they had Boddington's Pub Ale on Nitro--that's when I discovered that I didn't care for beer on Nitro. :)

Other 'n that, head to P-burg and Swig.

We're on Indian Wood Circle. I assume you know where the Humane Society is, you go down the road that's basically across the street and we're the 2nd drive on the left. Our building used to be IBM back in the day. 1605 Indian Wood Cir. In fact we made the news too.

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/22239204/toledo-business-moving-to-maumee

We're on Indian Wood Circle. I assume you know where the Humane Society is, you go down the road that's basically across the street and we're the 2nd drive on the left. Our building used to be IBM back in the day. 1605 Indian Wood Cir. In fact we made the news too.

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/22239204/toledo-business-moving-to-maumee

Haha, I used to work in that office building... then our company moved (Hanson, Inc) down the road. They used to own that building and the one right next door to it. Then I left there and now work for Maritz (1740 Indian Wood Cir). Small world!

Haha, I used to work in that office building... then our company moved (Hanson, Inc) down the road. They used to own that building and the one right next door to it. Then I left there and now work for Maritz (1740 Indian Wood Cir). Small world!

OK so you're up on the North end next to Owens, right?

VERY small world indeed!

Anyone been to Marino's Beverage Depot in Sylvania yet? They got a killer selection. Their overall selection is on par with Andersons, but they have a WAY better cold beer selection. It's over in the plaza next to the Sylvania Packo's across from Ralphies. The only issue I have is that I noticed a lot of their beers are covered in dust so it makes me question their freshness and ability to move it fast enough.

I've never been there. Of course I'm rarely on that side of town. For me it's either Anderson's in Maumee or Cork's in Perrysburg/Rossford.

I took my daughter there when she was two or three. I don't think they have a kids menu or anything, but we got her a hot dog or some chicken chunks or something.

Ok, thanks.

Anyone been to Marino's Beverage Depot in Sylvania yet? They got a killer selection. Their overall selection is on par with Andersons, but they have a WAY better cold beer selection.

I stop there every time I'm in town, and Andersons too. Both are very good. Hit both the Sylvania and Maumee Andersons last week, went home with a case of singles. :)

I grew up about a mile from that Anderson's in Maumee. I spent my childhood at the Mudhens games (my little brother and I could walk there).

Ahhh swimming at the rec center. Them's is some good memories!

It's gone fairly downhill. The fairgrounds are all but dead except during fair season. Southwyck area is a ghost town now.

Ahhh swimming at the rec center. Them's is some good memories!

It's gone fairly downhill. The fairgrounds are all but dead except during fair season. Southwyck area is a ghost town now.

Haha, yea, the rec center. I started out in the baby pool (had concrete whales in the middle), then the middle pool, then the pool with the high-dive boards.

I loved Southwyck Mall. I was a bit of a mall rat.

I was just in Sylvania. My dad lives there.

Add me to the list of Toledo area brewers who frequents Titgemeiers - I live southeast of the city, halfway between Perrysburg and Fremont, and work in the city. I honestly felt bad putting in a *huge* hop order through Hops Direct a couple months ago instead of just buying from them, but being one who likes to brew some quite hoppy beers, it's not always possible to pick up 8+ oz of what I might need there, even though their stock is usually pretty good - I don't know how many LHBS stock Wyeast but they always have a lot of them in stock and they move them, my 3711 bought on Monday was less than 2 months from manufacture.

As far as where to get good beer in the area, I'll 2nd/3rd or whatever the suggestions of The Andersons and Corks in Perrysburg for retail and The Attic on Adams St. for a good selection of brews on tap. Not even sure what they might carry in bottles but the last couple times I've been in there I've had Enjoy By 11/12/13 and La Fin du Monde...certainly not your everyday BMC selections.

I'll also put in a plug for where I work - I cook at Manhattan's about a block down from The Attic. We don't have near the selection but do generally have Great Lakes seasonal, Brooklyn IPA, and possibly another one or two craft selections on tap and a few more in bottles. Despite my campaigning though we don't generally have much for the real hopheads, and I don't think we've ever had a Belgian beer in bottles or on tap. Live music Monday-Saturday every week though. Plus I'm frequently at the bar Thursday-Saturday late nights. :tank:

Hi there mozart, I live less than 10 minutes away from you in Lemoyne! Small world!

Add me to the list of Toledo area brewers who frequents Titgemeiers - I live southeast of the city, halfway between Perrysburg and Fremont, and work in the city. I honestly felt bad putting in a *huge* hop order through Hops Direct a couple months ago instead of just buying from them, but being one who likes to brew some quite hoppy beers, it's not always possible to pick up 8+ oz of what I might need there, even though their stock is usually pretty good - I don't know how many LHBS stock Wyeast but they always have a lot of them in stock and they move them, my 3711 bought on Monday was less than 2 months from manufacture.

As far as where to get good beer in the area, I'll 2nd/3rd or whatever the suggestions of The Andersons and Corks in Perrysburg for retail and The Attic on Adams St. for a good selection of brews on tap. Not even sure what they might carry in bottles but the last couple times I've been in there I've had Enjoy By 11/12/13 and La Fin du Monde...certainly not your everyday BMC selections.

I'll also put in a plug for where I work - I cook at Manhattan's about a block down from The Attic. We don't have near the selection but do generally have Great Lakes seasonal, Brooklyn IPA, and possibly another one or two craft selections on tap and a few more in bottles. Despite my campaigning though we don't generally have much for the real hopheads, and I don't think we've ever had a Belgian beer in bottles or on tap. Live music Monday-Saturday every week though. Plus I'm frequently at the bar Thursday-Saturday late nights. :tank:

Love Manhattans. So does everyone I know. The gf and I are regulars at the Sunday brunch. I have a friend that works there, too-- Ashley Norris. Keep up the good work, chef.

I shop Titgemeiers when I can; unfortunately (for them and my pocket book) I'm moving into the hard-core upgrading phase of my brewing build and they don't carry the things I'm looking to drop money on, like pumps and such. So I tend to order my stuff online through MoreBeer... and it's hard not to say "ah, eff it" and place the grist on the order, especially since shipping is free and I get it literally the next day.

Just checking in. Not much to say about myself. I work about 3 miles from Titgemeiers, and have made a few stops in there.

My parents brewed quite a bit when I was growing up, and while they got out of it for quite a few years, my dad decided to start brewing again recently. This means, I also decided to start brewing as well. We've been brewing AG in the 6 gallon quantity, but I hope to start doing some smaller pilot batches to work on yeast related projects.

Any update on this? Is this still happening?

Wow I see it's been a while since someone posted here. Almost a year.

I'm just East of Toledo not far from Fremont but West of there.

I bought a big kettle to start doing BIAB and wondered if anyone wants to stop by on brew day? Not sure when that's going to be since it's been pretty cold and I don't want to experiment with a long mash and have to screw around.

I have 3 kegs with plenty of the good stuff.

I shop at Titgemiers quite a bit and I have an office in Sandusky and go to Hombrew Ohio sometimes.

I'm in holland. I'm hoping to brew in the next few weeks (as soon as it's warm enough to smoke a cigar). Good luck with your brew!

Wow I see it's been a while since someone posted here. Almost a year.

I'm just East of Toledo not far from Fremont but West of there.

I bought a big kettle to start doing BIAB and wondered if anyone wants to stop by on brew day? Not sure when that's going to be since it's been pretty cold and I don't want to experiment with a long mash and have to screw around.

I have 3 kegs with plenty of the good stuff.

I shop at Titgemiers quite a bit and I have an office in Sandusky and go to Hombrew Ohio sometimes.
HBO is the greatest home brew store I have been to. Awesome people there and they have pretty much anything. I just moved from sandusky area but still make the drive there for my grain and stuff.

I'm not far from Fremont and Sandusky (in Clyde) myself. I can also highly recommend HBO. I will usually email my grain bill the day before and when I stop in its all ready to go. Very helpful and friendly staff. They also just moved their location across the road to a bigger location.

Just so you guys know, homebrewing.org offers $5 great lakes shipping that should extend to your area. Good to know about the email thing at HBO.

Native of toledo, living and brewing in Fremont. Love HomeBrew Ohio, coworkers of mine worked on the new building. I would love to take a class or do a homebrew group meeting but my work schedule keeps getting into the way. I have a few kit batches down and now I am doing recipes and thinking about going BIAB. I have done a couple 5 gallon but prefer small 1-3 gallon batches.

Native of toledo, living and brewing in Fremont. Love HomeBrew Ohio, coworkers of mine worked on the new building. I would love to take a class or do a homebrew group meeting but my work schedule keeps getting into the way. I have a few kit batches down and now I am doing recipes and thinking about going BIAB. I have done a couple 5 gallon but prefer small 1-3 gallon batches.

I may brew a batch this weekend. Shoot me a message if you want to see how BIAB works and how easy it is. I need to get another IPA in the line up.

I get almost all of my stuff from Titgemiers in Toledo. Bulk grain as well as specialty grains are extremely reasonable. Which is why I shop there almost exclusively. I can explain in more detail if you like.

Back