Another 'Has it finished' thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishYobbo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the whole brewing business, and I've recently put on a batch of coopers larger. All was going well, the airlock was bubbling nicely for the first few days, then that stopped and the hydrometer reading steadily dropped.

The problem is that the hydrometer reading has stopped at 1.012 (instead of the usual 1.006), the beer is still sweet, and there is still a layer of sugar sitting at the bottom of the carboy.

The beer tastes fine except for a bit of sweetness, the temperature has been kept between 22 and 24 degrees C constantly (I believe this kit uses an ale yeast, 21-28 degrees C was recommended). It's just like the yeast has packed up and left before finishing.

Any ideas?

At 1.012, the beer should not taste sweet. Many great beers finish at 1.010-1.012. The layer on the bottom of the fermenter isn't sugar- it's trub. That is spent yeast, proteins from the wort, hops debris, etc, that all fall to the bottom. If the SG is still 1.012 two days after the first reading, it's safe to bottle as it would be done.

Carbonation changes the flavor of sweetness in beer as carbonic acid counteracts the perceived sweetness, so the beer once carbed up won't taste nearly as sweet.

Totally agree! I shoot for most of my beers to finish around there and they are mighty tasty!

Once carbonated it'll be great, cheers!

Latest posts

Back