Straining Extract Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I plan to use a SS kitchen strainer to filter my wort on its way into my primary carboy. I found one that fits on top of my funnel. I was hoping it would filter some of the Hops etc. Is there any risk or decrease in flavor or quality? I don't want to sacrifice taste or quality for clarity. I saw some other posts that are similar, but does not answer. I typcially do extract brews with LME.

Anyone have specific expereice that can confirm or offer advice?

From what I understand, you can leave the hops in or you can filter them out, makes no difference. I strain everything when I transfer to my primary.

I can't answer this for you. I can tell you that I pour all but the absolute solid pieces of hops junk ino my fermentor, and my beers are extremely clear. I do let them sit for a while, however - I'm not a member of the "bottle it the moment gravity is stable" gang.

If you are patient, all of that hops junk will collect with the yeast into a nice, hard cake on the bottom.

i never strain anything out when i pour my wort into the fermentor. in all honesty i dont think even doing that would help with clarity since it all sinks to the bottom. if you really want clarity I would recommend that you cold crash as this will greatly improve clarity while not changing any of the taste or quality. Just my thoughts though.

seckert said:
i never strain anything out when i pour my wort into the fermentor. in all honesty i dont think even doing that would help with clarity since it all sinks to the bottom. if you really want clarity I would recommend that you cold crash as this will greatly improve clarity while not changing any of the taste or quality. Just my thoughts though.

I strain my beer and one advantage not mentioned is that this process also helps aerate the wort as it goes into the fermenter introducing lots of o2

It certainly won't hurt and will help aeration.

I use hop socks, so there is not much to filter.

When the wort is about the temperature I want I give
it one last really good swirl and let it set about 10 minutes.

Then autosiphon into the primary and any solids get left behind.

dubo- i guess you are right that it does give some extra O2 into the mix. I guess i just try to go for the simpliest way of doing things. I strained the first and second batch i ever did and after that i said screw it. I didnt notice any difference really so i just kept on pouring it right in there.:rockin:

seckert said:
dubo- i guess you are right that it does give some extra O2 into the mix. I guess i just try to go for the simpliest way of doing things. I strained the first and second batch i ever did and after that i said screw it. I didnt notice any difference really so i just kept on pouring it right in there.:rockin:

I run my beer directly from the kettle through a CFC and drain through a strainer into my primary, it's what works for me :mug

Back