have you seen this in your fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
There was a white scaly film on the top of my porter when i opened it up. It tastes okay but, it's now formed on the top of it after it was bottled. What is it? Should i worry about exploding bottles?

photo.jpg

That does not look so good. I would sanitize a ladel and get that out of there and go from there. You never know it sould be awesome when it's done!

I have the same thing on my apfelwein. I'll take a pic later, but I bet it's an infection too.

It doesn't stink either, just looks gross.

I racked it over and it all stuck to the sides. It was all clear and now four weeks after bottling it's on the top of all the bottles. No sourness just gross...like he said.

if its not sour then its most likely not an infection ... i know its disconcerting to have mystery foam but any infection will have either smell or taste symptoms or both. pics would be helpful.

I've had a solid film form on several of my beers. If disturbed it breaks up into a bunch of small little floaty film islands. I know several people on the site have mentioned having it at least once, and the consensus seems to be that it doesn't give off-flavors. It is definitely some kind of infection and it happened in the same fermenting bucket each time before I gave it a thorough bleaching. Although it doesn't sour a beer, I've noticed it does give it an odd, subtle, almost fruity flavor that now I can recognize what it's from, I detest. The beer is still drinkable, but those batches that had that infection are sitting in the beer closet, collecting dust.

Problem: Caused by an airborne mold. Appears as a dusty white very thin film in the fermenter, and then appears again in the bottle. White film mold is not usually accompanied with a taste defect, so it is ok to drink the beer.

Possible Solution: Sterilize all your equipment thoroughly before making the next batch. White film mold can be pervasive in parts of he country during the wetter months, so sterilize thoroughly and shield your wort from air contact as much as possible.

Back