Grain bags have more grain than stated??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
I have 2 50lb bags of grain, one is 2 row us, and the other marris otter. I SHOULD be getting pretty far into them now. I decided to weigh out the bags to see how much I have left to figure out some recipes, and they are getting to be about a year old so I want to finish them off. Well my 2 row which I have used at LEAST 20 lbs from weighs out at 47 lbs. I weighed it 5 times on a scale that I have no reason to doubt is more than .5 lbs off either direction. The marris otter which I have used about 40 lbs of weighs at 24 lbs. Is it possible that maybe they absorbed humidity over the summer? They still taste just fine, and my efficiencies have been improving lately. I never weighed the bags when I first bought them, so did I just discover that when you buy bulk you get a little "bonus"? If so I am thrilled because my mental calculations had me at around 35lbs left, but it weighs out at twice that!

I would expect that, yes, it is plausible that the grain has absorbed some moisture over the previous months, but for your grain to weigh that much seems improbable unless you weighed it soaking wet in the bottom of your mashtun.

Are you sure little gnomes haven't been sneaking into your house and adding their premium malted barley to your bags? :D

Did you use the same scale to weigh each portion of grain you've removed that you're using to weigh the remaining grain?

Did you use the same scale to weigh each portion of grain you've removed that you're using to weigh the remaining grain?

No I didn't, but I did test a 5lb weight to make sure they were showing the same readings, and they did. I know that still leaves a margin for error but its close enough for me.

Back