First tasting of Brew Pastor's Bastard Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Here is the recipe, which I followed pretty closely, except that I used .5 oz Cascade for flavor hops instead of .25 oz Columbus.

First tasting was last night, 15 days in the bottle, about 37 days after brew day:

Color was a beautiful amber, crystal clear (despite my forgetting the Irish moss, and I used no finings). Head was good, retention OK but not great.

Hops aroma was clearly present but not as overwhelming as I might have expected. (I think I may have overestimated the AA% of my columbus hops which have been in the freezer a little while.)

Flavor was very malty and biscuity, overall balance w/ bitterness and hop flavor was very pleasant.

This beer tastes more lager-like to me than Anchor Steam. This may be partially because I fermented at the low end of the temp range for California Lager (58-60).

This is going to be very good--the hops aroma and bitterness are aa little more subdued than I expected, but cali lager does yield a very malty brew. Brewpastor: i can see why this would be a good choice for a commercial craft beer: it's a little different, very smooth and lager-like for those who find craft ales "harsh," but with plenty of complex flavors and hops character (and color) to set it apart from macro lagers.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

Thanks for the post and your insights. I have this one planned and as soon as temps drop in my basement due to Wisconsin winters Im going to brew it.

Back