hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burshaw

Reaction score
Whats the highest alcohol contant your cider has produced?

I just did my FIRST cider, and it's at 9.7%. I have heard plenty of people having it over 10%.

Hard Apple Cider 2 Gallons - Made January 22 2013 - Gravity 1074, January 31 2013 Gravity 1000

Hmmm. Must be some very sweet apples! Were they a very late harvest crop? I've heard that late harvest apples have a higher sugar content.

I usually buy my cider in august/september/october. How late in the year do they harvest in the different areas of the country?

I would really like to know what apples are yielding such sweet musts so I can plant a couple. An early frost is supposed to help boost the sugar content. Late harvesters like the "new" frostbite is supposed to be good for this. The climate here should be perfect for that.

The consistently highest sugar content apple I've come across in my research is a French cider variety called Médaille d'or. Been known to go above 1.100/13.5% ABV in the right conditions on a good year. Never personally worked with it though.

The consistently highest sugar content apple I've come across in my research is a French cider variety called Médaille d'or. Been known to go above 1.100/13.5% ABV in the right conditions on a good year. Never personally worked with it though.

Holy...wow!

I'm really starting ti get a sense of how many varieties there are out there. It's a bit daunting. I read a bit on the Wittenham Hill Cider Pages, and realised I had NEVER heard of any of the varieties of apple being discussed. Now, that's not to say I probally couldn't find some apples with SIMILAR characteristics in my area, but I can see I have a LOT to learn!

A orchard here let me pick the rebels that were still hanging on the tree after 5 good frosts and got 1.071. And there's Apple ice wine,where the apples are left on the trees till it's 20 below and than picked.....I picked dessert apples/fuji/honeycrisp/red delicious. Had to add to some frozen crabapple to it for some balance.Its sitting in a oakkeg till next fall.

For mine at 9.7% I just used Apple Juice from the store. We are in the middle of winter here :D I plan on making a bigger batch soon with Apple Juice, and will try and go over 10% by adding more sugar. I'll probably start at 1.085 this time, and see if I can get it down to 1.000 again.

Probably in the summer, then I'll hit up the orchard, and see if they will fill up a bucket for me with juice.

Back