Help! Bubbles have pretty much stopped after 2.5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eking87

Reaction score
So this is my first attempt. I pitched on Saturday around 8pm, and when I woke up Sunday, there were pretty much constant bubbles, and then by the end of the day on Sunday, there was about 2 inches of foam on top and the bubbling had increased.

As of Monday night, the bubbling had slowed dramtically (once every 10 seconds.) And now on Tuesday morning, I sat there for about a minute and saw nothing, and foam on top has gone.

It seems to me that the problem (if there is one) is the yeast production. I could understand if the yeast was bad or if I didn't provide a very hospitable environment (this is my first time.) I'm confused though, because I think that if that were the case there wouldn't have been any action the day after pitching.

Any tips? Should I get some more yeast and repitch? Or is this a lost cause.

Here is the recipe i'm using: Amazon.com: True Brew Red Ale Home Brew Beer Ingredient Kit: Kitchen & Dining

I would really appreciate any tips.

Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats you made your first beer! Take a gravity reading and see where the hydrometer bobs. I'd say another week or two n the bucket and you are all set to bottle.

For future reference the bubbling air lock, or lack there of is not really a fail safe way to gauge fermentation activity. In my conicals I sometimes have 2 full days of bubbles in the air lock then nothing. When I shine a flash light in the fermenter though I still have a nice layer of krausin. The conicals have a lot of head space, and unlike a carboy have a large opening much like a bucket for the C02 to gather before hitting the air lock.

Your beer is progressing as it should. Ale yeast works pretty fast while it eats the easy sugars and with warmer temperatures it has probably gone through them. Now it needs time to work on the harder sugars and esters. It won't show much activity in the airlock for the rest of the time. It really needs at least another week and up to 4 won't hurt it a bit. Just don't be in a real rush to bottle because you won't like it when you pour a bottle and all you get is one inch of beer in the glass and the rest foams out the top.

Every brew is different - I had one last month that was only about 48 hours and done. I have a Dunkel now that was bubbling for 6 days! Yeast know whet they are doing.

This was my first as well & everything went great, i was just concerned about the absence of C02 after 2 days but found this nice site! Thanks fellow brewers

After four days & all the machine gun bubbling,only initial fermentation is over. The vigorous part where most of the sugars are eaten. It'll now slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.

Back