Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicheleE63

Reaction score
Okay, I'm ready to give up bottling and build a keezer. I've researched it to death and just need to get started. I bought a Kenmore 8.8 in black. I'm pretty handy for a girl but electrical is not my thing. I took the screws off the hinges and started to remove the lid when I realized the cord attached to the lid runs to the compressor area and is attached to "stuff" wiring, etc. I assume this powers the light on the underside of the lid, and maybe the alarm off/on button, but in all my research nobody mentioned this. What am I supposed to do with this cord? It is too short to reach the top of the collar I'm going to build. Help! I know you guys will have the answers.....

If its just wire you could cut it and add a piece of wire using wire nuts that would be long enough to work with your collar

Okay, I'm ready to give up bottling and build a keezer. I've researched it to death and just need to get started. I bought a Kenmore 8.8 in black. I'm pretty handy for a girl but electrical is not my thing. I took the screws off the hinges and started to remove the lid when I realized the cord attached to the lid runs to the compressor area and is attached to "stuff" wiring, etc. I assume this powers the light on the underside of the lid, and maybe the alarm off/on button, but in all my research nobody mentioned this. What am I supposed to do with this cord? It is too short to reach the top of the collar I'm going to build. Help! I know you guys will have the answers.....

If ya wanna keep the light just snip it, get a new cord to extend it for the height ya want, a little electrical tape and your golden. Or just cut if off all together, if your running a johnson control unit once plugged in it should bybass any alarms that were tied in. The alarm and light should not have any effects on the compressor if removed, I assume ya can turn the alarm from on to off? If ya snip it it would be like in the off positon anyway.

I will be using a Johnson controller, so if I want the light, just extend the cord, if not I can just cut it and leave it off. Got it. I knew you guys would have fast answers. Okay, I will probably have more questions over the next couple weeks so be patient! Thanks again!

You may be able to use the light wiring and use it to install a pc fan somehow. There should be a togle swith that cuts power to the lighy when closed, if ya disconect that you shoild have constent pwer to the fan. Keep us posted

I didn't have to do anything with my wire, it was just long enough to accommodate the collar. Check it before you do any snipping..

Hey, guys! New to this thread, and I'm trying not to sound too ignorant but I want to build a kegerator. Here is where I am looking for advice, should I use a mini fridge 4.4 or larger, or should I go with a small freezer. Which would be better? Will the freezer freeze the beer, is it just roomier, or just preference. I like my beer COLD so the freezer way would be awesome. Also, for now I brew about one beer a month, if that. But I am going to start brewing more often, maybe a couple at a time. Questions, concerns?? Thanks, everyone!

Monster, my cord was just long enough to reach from the lid to the connections in the compressor area, so I had to cut it to allow for the collar. I do like the idea of using that wiring to power a fan rather than the light though. I will have to get some more info on that when I get to that part of the project. Right now I have the inner collar done and am getting ready to start the outer collar that will overhang on 3 sides. I have an idea for finishing that outer collar with glass mosaic tiles - in my head it will look awesome! Again, thanks for the help - I'll keep you guys posted. Maybe some pics when I get a little more done.

Hey, guys! New to this thread, and I'm trying not to sound too ignorant but I want to build a kegerator. Here is where I am looking for advice, should I use a mini fridge 4.4 or larger, or should I go with a small freezer. Which would be better? Will the freezer freeze the beer, is it just roomier, or just preference. I like my beer COLD so the freezer way would be awesome. Also, for now I brew about one beer a month, if that. But I am going to start brewing more often, maybe a couple at a time. Questions, concerns?? Thanks, everyone!

Not to be a dick, but do more research...

Start here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/

Then you can research how to build the one that suits you best. That thread I posted.... I went through EVERY SINGLE PICTURE. My GF loved me for that one, but the keezer I built is similar to a lot of those; however it's mine and only mine.

Good Luck my friend.:rockin:

MicheleE63 said:
Monster, my cord was just long enough to reach from the lid to the connections in the compressor area, so I had to cut it to allow for the collar. I do like the idea of using that wiring to power a fan rather than the light though. I will have to get some more info on that when I get to that part of the project. Right now I have the inner collar done and am getting ready to start the outer collar that will overhang on 3 sides. I have an idea for finishing that outer collar with glass mosaic tiles - in my head it will look awesome! Again, thanks for the help - I'll keep you guys posted. Maybe some pics when I get a little more done.

You may have to remove the electronics I had to because the alarm kept beeping for under temperature

I have an idea for finishing that outer collar with glass mosaic tiles - in my head it will look awesome!

Can't wait to see this. My wife had the idea of using sea glass for a backsplash area of the counter when we remodeled the kitchen/dinning room but the amount of counter space was to much for the glass she had collected from the beach.

Will be remodeling one of the bathrooms that she may give it a shot with the smaller counter, I am thinking she will love seeing your build as progress.

Good luck and can't wait to see this come together.

Thanks Rekoob. I have a glass tile backsplash in my kitchen I put in about a year ago and it came out really nice, so since my keezer will be in the kitchen/dining room, I thought that would tie it into the room. Sea glass would be cool but its harder to work with due to the variance in size... I will definitely post pics later on. Thanks everybody for the help!

Thanks beaksnbeer. I might take you up on that and pm you when I get to that point. Btw, is that really your bird drinking beer in your pic? Beautiful bird, and enjoys good brew. Awesome!

We have 4 that's Sunny he loves home/craft beers BMC beers he'll dip his beak then shake it all over. Only 1 of are birds won't drink beer with me and our cat will eat chips and drink beer so I never have to drink alone:D

Well, my project is finally finished. It was interesting, frustrating, and fun. I now have 5 taps - 1 root beer and 4 beer. The glass tile turned out nice, although a lighter color might have been more interesting. I thought the black would be cool and it does look nice. I'm pretty happy with, but I'm always trying to think of improvements. Is this normal, or does Homebrewing cause some sort of beer related psychosis?

image-3137060344.jpg

image-852478096.jpg

image-3729201185.jpg

image-4180990549.jpg

image-4187677178.jpg

image-1846184627.jpg

image-2374994548.jpg

image-435276749.jpg

image-2383242413.jpg

image-2141344315.jpg

image-2169286142.jpg

Thanks Bob4th,

I wanted to use the ideas on HBT and add something of my own. Since I recently tried my hand at a glass tile backsplash in my kitchen, I figured I could pull this off. Now what else can I make......

Stick - I read dozens of ideas on how to attach the drip trays. Decisions decisions. I ended up buying 4 of those 6" shelf brackets you find in the shelving aisle at Menards. ( I have 2 separate drip trays) I wanted something a little dressier than plain silver L brackets. I bought black so they wouldn't stand out too much. I used Liquid Nails to glue them to the side of the keezer. I had to duct tape them down to get them to stop sliding until the glue set. It was not fun trying to get 4 brackets perfectly even with each other, but the duct tape helped. I let them cure a few days before removing the tape. I bought some rare earth magnets at Harbor Freight and glued them to the bottom of the drip trays. I just set the trays on the shelf brackets and the magnets keep them in place, and I can take them off easily for cleaning.

image-4133976480.jpg

Back