Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! This taste like apple pie in a glass.

I actually kegged mine. At 3 days (ferm temp w/ English cider yeast) it's still on the sweet side - more than I was expecting. I'll probably let it keep going another couple days to dry it out some. One thing I notice is that the first sample I pour has very viscous fluid full of cinnamon. I'm guessing the syrup mixture is probably settling out, despite my attempts to shake and invert the keg.

Anyone else have tips for kegging this recipe?

I have been digging around for caramel syrup. I after a while j decided to make my own. This stuff has butter and cream in it. I assume that would cause a problem. What did you guys use?

I have had mine in bottles for 4 days and the two test plastic bottles went psst then bubbled over just a bit. Is it too late to pasturize??? I don't have the room to cold crash. Could I do it at a lower temp for longer?

Thanks all, I have gone ahead with pastureization anyway and only list a bottle on the first batch. I was working without a tea towel at the bottom if the pot and my pot has a large aluminum heat pad on the bottom so I likely had a bad bottle or it was getting some weird heat pattern. I am also preheating in the sink at about 115 before hitting the pot.

Test bottles are incredible, I can just imagine it after a month!! Thanks Mike.

I have been digging around for caramel syrup. I after a while j decided to make my own. This stuff has butter and cream in it. I assume that would cause a problem. What did you guys use?

It won't cause a problem but there will be 0 head retention. I.e. you will get carbonation, but there may be a film or other fatty substance on the top that may be unsightly. STILL, if it tastes good.....Basically, oil will cause a prob in that way. I wanted to use the heavy whipping cream in a batch...I just haven't yet.

This is why we experiment!

Do it and report back!

mistercameron said:
WOW! This taste like apple pie in a glass.

I actually kegged mine. At 3 days (ferm temp w/ English cider yeast) it's still on the sweet side - more than I was expecting. I'll probably let it keep going another couple days to dry it out some. One thing I notice is that the first sample I pour has very viscous fluid full of cinnamon. I'm guessing the syrup mixture is probably settling out, despite my attempts to shake and invert the keg.

Anyone else have tips for kegging this recipe?

I had the same problem. I tried shaking the keg a few times to try to redistribute but in the end there was really nothing I could do. After the first few glasses or so you won't see it anymore.

Tuckerl said:
I had the same problem. I tried shaking the keg a few times to try to redistribute but in the end there was really nothing I could do. After the first few glasses or so you won't see it anymore.

Did it dry out fine? I washed and saved the yeast so I can re pitch some, just not sure if its necessary in this case

I started a batch last weekend using Mike's recipe but used a wine yeast. When the Sg got to 1.006 I racked onto 5 campden and 2.5 tsp P. Sorbate. Stirred well and degassed. The next day the airlock was still working heavly. Added 2.5 tsp more of P. Sorbate, but the airlock is still working heavly. How am I to stop the yeast so that I can backsweeten? I am not planning on carbing.

Thanks,

Scott

mistercameron said:
Did it dry out fine? I washed and saved the yeast so I can re pitch some, just not sure if its necessary in this case

Yeah, it was perfect. Just had to get through the initial sediment.

I hope this hasn't been asked or doesn't seem likea dumb question but of you want to carb you use priming sugar as useual right? I don't wanna add more sugar than necessary and make bottle bombs. Thanks!

No you use the caramel syrup as in the recipe and 3 cans of thawed frozen apple juice concentrate. (Only)

Racked to my brew bucket last night. Sg just under 1.010. Gave it a taste, not as dry as apfelwein, but looking forward to bottling in a day or two and tasting the finished cider in a few weeks. Gonna make the caramel sauce the same day that I bottle per your suggestions. Gonna fill at least one Mr. Beer plastic bottle since it's similar to a soda bottle to test for carbonation and know when It's ready to stove pasteurize. I'm sure it's a matter of preference, but what is a good baseline feel to know when it's ready to pasteurize? Should it have some flex or be fairly hard to squeeze? This is my first attempt at backsweetening and stovetop pasteurization. Wish me luck!

View attachment 72626

Hey vox thanks for the posts. Did you end up oven pasteurize and if is how did it go?

Tuckerl said:
Yeah, it was perfect. Just had to get through the initial sediment.

Perfect. That did the trick. Tomorrow is 5 days and I think it's just about there.

FNG here. My carboy and kit arrives on Wednesday. On Friday I plan on starting a half batch (5 gal carboy). How much yeast do I use? I'm using the updated recipe with the nutrient. Any suggestions on the half batch?

FNG here. My carboy and kit arrives on Wednesday. On Friday I plan on starting a half batch (5 gal carboy). How much yeast do I use? I'm using the updated recipe with the nutrient. Any suggestions on the half batch?

I'd still use the entire packet of yeast. It's pretty hard to overpitch, generally speaking the more active cells you have the better. It might ferment faster but should still turn out perfect. At least that is me speaking from my beer making experience. Cider might be different in that respect, I honestly don't know.

I just bottled a batch of this yesterday, but i had one question. I did this batch and if i recall (i am at work and dont have the exact measurements on me) i started around a 1.065 and was at 1.010 after only 5 days of fermentation. Is this out of the ordanary as i was expecting something closer to 2 weeks. Fermenation temp was mid to upper 60's, i assume that it was just a case of ideal conditions.

Finally got a batch of this in the fermenter. It's been on my list for a while now. The fermentable part is so easy to do I don't know why I waited so long.

I made a batch of this recently for the women in my group of friends, since they don't drink beer. This recipe is amazingly delicious, and everyone loved it!

I found out over the weekend that apparently one of them had given out several bottles to her friends to try, and is now getting asked "Where did you find this? I want to buy more!"

Looks like batch #2 is getting bumped up in the queue! :D

Just wanted to report that my batch turned out tasting great! My only problem was that I have floating goo. I've seen others report this. No big deal. Guess I will have to just make the caramel sauce and apple juice concentrate mixed better before I add it. If you are thinking about trying this, DO IT. Pretty good stuff.

My batch has turned out pretty great as well. Fermentation has taken longer than expected but I didn't add yeast nutrient (didn't see the updated recipe). It's kegged and force carbing now. I had the same problem with the cinnamon not dissolving but that was no biggie. Should be ready for my Halloween party this weekend. Thanks for the recipe

norman1080 said:
Prost fellas!
I have a question about the yeast nutrients in the updated PART 1 on page 42.
I made my hard cider based on PART 1 in the OP recipe (OG 1.070 using Trader Joe's Unfiltered Organic Apple Juice). So, I didn't add the 6tsp of yeast nutrient.
I am about 1 week into the fermentation. I am finding the fermentation isn't as vigorous as an ale fermentation using the Nottingham yeast.
My question, is it too late to add the yeast nutrients to give it that added boost? Will it give an off flavor if I do?
Thanks in advance! :mug:

Most nutrients are best used after boiling for 10min or so. I have done late nutrient additions for several things without oxidation issues. Rolling boil for 10-15min, add nutrients, boil another 10min, siphon in to avoid splashing.

Wow, over 500 posts in this thread! The only threads in the Cider forum that have more are two of the three "Stickies". :D

Thank you all for your feedback, I am glad everyone seems to like this recipe! :mug: :tank: :drunk:

Loved this so much I just started my 2nd batch tonight. Using different juice this time, this one has some malic acid in it. Also, think I may try 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract into the caramel syrup once its cooled. Going to try and look for some cinnamon extract also to stop the separation I experienced last time during bottling.

Upstate mike: congrats on the 500 posts, absolutely earned it.

Well i finally moved mine to my bottling bucket, 2 weeks in primary dropped to 1.015 at 60 degrees. WLP001 works slower than nottingham it seems. Taste is great, a touch dry but will be fantastic after a few cans of concentrate. Bottling tonight, hope it is ready by next weekend for some parties at my house.

Biohazard said:
Well i finally moved mine to my bottling bucket, 2 weeks in primary dropped to 1.015 at 60 degrees. WLP001 works slower than nottingham it seems. Taste is great, a touch dry but will be fantastic after a few cans of concentrate. Bottling tonight, hope it is ready by next weekend for some parties at my house.

It will taste great but there will be an alcohol flavor at the end.

So I just made a batch of this last afternoon. This afternoon it was bubbling away, now nothing. Any ideas what is going on, or is the yeast being lazy?

Springpatch said:
So I just made a batch of this last afternoon. This afternoon it was bubbling away, now nothing. Any ideas what is going on, or is the yeast being lazy?

Mine fermented really fast but not that quick. What's your ferm temp? Also take a hydro read.

first off she is going at around 79 F. Also once I opened the pail up the juice was constantly fizzing. After putting the hydrometer in the reading I think was 1.04 (started at 1.05) but I am still trying to get a how to on reading my hydrometer.

Springpatch said:
first off she is going at around 79 F. Also once I opened the pail up the juice was constantly fizzing. After putting the hydrometer in the reading I think was 1.04 (started at 1.05) but I am still trying to get a how to on reading my hydrometer.

79 is awful hot. Try and get the temp down by either trying to move it into a cooler room or making a swamp cooler( bucket full of water with 2 frozen 2 liter bottles) I ferment mine at about 70 and that's still about 2 degrees warmer than I want it. That being said, I don't think temp is causing your stalled fermentation. I know you said you couldn't find a leak but is the cider still bubbling away? 1.04 is still VERY high. Even if you didn't add yeast nutrients it shouldn't be stuck with all the sugar in there.

Also, did you add the dextrose. I think most apple juices/ ciders have an OG of 1.05 so you should be close to 1.065 with the 2# of dextrose

I added dextrose first and now thinking back I believe around 1.06ish would be right. Also I added more vodka to the air lock and she started to bubble again. After I post this I am taking the pail down stairs where it usually is around 67-72F. I don't get how the cider is making that much heat seeing as it is in a room that is around 70 all day and night. Maybe a bad spot in the house.

It's probably just your bucket. Mine didn't bubble for a couple days. When I opened it to see what was going on, it looked bubbly, like the yeasties were workin. Took a hydro sample and closed the lid. It then immediately started bubbling. I must have had the co2 escaping out somewhere else. Lids and buckets are kinda crappy like that. There is nothing wrong with the fermentation though being that the co2 escaping and not letting anything in anyways. I guess my drawn out point though is the ONLY way to check how fermentation is going is with your hydrometer. Bloop sounds mean nothing.

I think what my problem was, was my air lock didn't have enough fluid. After that it started bubbling every second. though I gotta admit I was pretty damn happy to see it bubbling away in the bucket.

MedicMang said:
Bloop sounds mean nothing.

But they are oh so satisfying!

This looks like a great cider to try. I am going to make up some cinnamon essence first because one thing that will put SWMBO off is cinnamon bits floating around.

I suppose you could put some cinnamon sticks loosely crushed into a reusable tea bag.

mcspanner said:
I suppose you could put some cinnamon sticks loosely crushed into a reusable tea bag.

Yea I've had a hard time finding cinnamon extract and was thinking about put sticks in the boiling water/ brown sugar. Anyone have any idea about the number of sticks/ length of time?

HopHeaven said:
Yea I've had a hard time finding cinnamon extract and was thinking about put sticks in the boiling water/ brown sugar. Anyone have any idea about the number of sticks/ length of time?

I couldn't find any either which is why I thought of making my own, looks straight forward enough just needs some patience.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5520757_make-own-cinnamon-extract.html

I'm doing this one.

Just finished my first batch of this and its Amazing! I ended up adding 3 cans of apple concentrate and full amount of Caramel syrup. I decided to stop fermentation at 1.010 and was a little too sweet for me. So...While sipping on a few cold glasses of this cider, I decided on a 2nd batch with some variations. Let me know what you think

I added 3 lbs. Dextrose. My gravity regarding is 1.072. I want to ferment down to 1.004. I decided to use WLP775 (English cider yeast). Going to back sweeten with a few cans (starting with 2 and going by taste) of apple concentrate and skip the caramel sauce.

I know it sound simple but something is telling me I may have trouble carbonating in bottles.

Anyone agree? Has anyone tried this or something similar? I’m really looking for a dry simple cider....

What’s everyone think?

I don't think skipping the caramel sauce is really going to do much. If you wanted it kind if dry, just add the concentrate and bottle. Probably enough sugar in there to let the yeast eat and still giving it slight sweetness. If you're worried just stir some more sugar into the concentrate before bottling. Still would use the coke bottle method of carbonation checking. Good luck!

Hello, i am getting readybto bottle this tonite. It is going to be my first cider and I was wondering if aftert bottling should i put the bottles in the fridge to carbonate or just at room temp and then pasturize after i get the right carbonation level. Thanks!

Hello, i am getting readybto bottle this tonite. It is going to be my first cider and I was wondering if aftert bottling should i put the bottles in the fridge to carbonate or just at room temp and then pasturize after i get the right carbonation level. Thanks!

Keep it at room temp. If you bottle then put right in the fridge, the yeast will hibernate and and it will never carb (well maybe, but it may take years:drunk:). So keep at room temp, make sure you use a PET bottle to test carb level. Then pasteurize when you have the right carb level (3-5 days). :mug:

Back